Learning French

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:22 AM
DellVecc

Learning French

I would like to go to Paris hopefully this year but probably it will be next year and I would like to learn some French. What tape series/ cd's did you use? and why did ya like it?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:19 AM
janeygirl

I wasn't starting out completely new to the French language but it had been so many years since I learned it that I basically am still at the beginning stage. <BR><BR>Anyway, I got the Michel Thomas set of CDs and thought that gave me a good enough base. There's a short thread on this forum with comments from a few others on this, too. Warning: One of the students that was recorded for these CDs is very annoying.<BR><BR>I just started on the Pimsleur Beginning/Intermediate set of CDs and they seem to be pretty good, too.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:12 AM
AR

Agree with Janeygirl - Michel Thomas is amazing. It'll give you a fair basic grasp of the language. Although I must say that the advanced CD set (a 2 CD set after you've finished the 8 CD set) is very very difficult!!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
steve

Altho my wife had studied French in High School and College, she had no real experience with it. But being force to speak it when we went to France, she improved amazingly - even talking for about an hour to the stationmaster one sunday morning!<BR>Good Luck

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:27 PM
jeanne

I used the Michel Thomas CD series and believe it gave me an excellent foundation in French. I then went to a Barron's program which involves listening to others speak French. I think I'm learning even faster with it. Unfortunately, it has to go back to the library tomorrow