Learning Albanian

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning Albanian

Hello,

I am planning to travel and live in Albania for some time. Before I go I have 4-6 months to prepare and learn some of the language... or at least be introduced to it as much as I can.
I have a friend in school who is Albanian and is going to put something together for me when he can.... key words 'when he can.' It's not that I'm not impatient, but moreso that I am proactive.
Questions:
1. Which dialect would be advisable to learn for more 'well rounded' usage through the entire country of Albania if not the region?
2. Which resources are available out there that are going to actually be productively helpful.

The reason that I ask the second question is because I have been reading lots of reviews on materials such as Magnum/s language course and Pimsleur language course. Having used Pimsleur before I understand it''s either hit or miss with that resource. Sometimes it's really basic... too basic, and other times its really advanced... too advanced.

I would appreciate any incite as to materials, preferably Cd's/audio cassettes, that would start to create my working knowledge of the Albanian language. I'm really excited to jump in and welcome any help!

Thanks in advance!
adventuresome greg
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Okay so could someone tell me at least Gheg or Tosk?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:53 AM

How many people here do you think have knowledge of learning Albanian? Since you have an Albanian friend, would not he or she know the answer to your questions?

How about private lessons from a native speaker?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Here is another tip: Do you have your paperwork in order so that you can legally stay in Albania for a long time?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Much love and thanks to ekscrunchy for the intelligent and seemingly condescending responses.

As to how many people I think speak Albanian, the world Ethnologue estimates that 3.2 million people in and around Albania speak some form of Albanian. My mission is to find someone who has learned it. Obviously it isn't you.

So just to reiterate, I was wondering if anyone here has learned Albanian and which dialect they found useful.

Please no moronic response here.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Hi Greg - I think you missed a word in ek's response. The key word is "here." It's still early for responses from any Albanian speakers on this forum; you only posted yesterday.

I also do not think there will be many people who frequent fodors who speak Albanian. It really not relevant how many people speak Albanian in the world if they are not reading this forum.

For my money, I believe most people posting here are trying to be helpful rather than condescending.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Greg: You said:

Much love and thanks to ekscrunchy for the intelligent and seemingly condescending responses.
AND Please no moronic response here.

Young man, you sure got yourself off to a good start on this Forum ! How many kind, thoughtful, knowledgeable Fodorites are even going to bother responding to you even of they had information. Insulting one of the Forum's all-time favorites (EKSCRUNCHY) ain't going to get you any warm hugs. I'm probably one of the few, if any, members who has actually driven into Albania...from what I found, your swaggering attitude is going to go over hamdsomely with some of the locals I watched in action. It's a rough place, kiddo...grow up before you set foot in Albania..

Tower
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM

"It's not that I'm not impatient, but moreso that..."
...that you are impolite, that's your problem.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the gangup.

This forum doesn't dictate my attitude. I apologise for seemingly harsh retort. That was not my intent. I just felt that ekscrunchy was belittling me with his response.

All ego trips aside I just truely wanted to know more about the language... you know, proven ways and means.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm really not a toughguy tower... I am however impressed with your accomplishments
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hey Greg, Pimsleur will get you started. You can then take private lessons once you get here. Most NGO/International Organization folks will speak English. Albanian is quite challenging but totally worth it.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM

I haven't been to Albania, and I don't speak Albanian. Perhaps my experiences from last year, however, in trying to learn a little Czech, Slovak and Hungarian might be somewhat helpful.

I found that the resources for those languages were few (especially Slovak), and so I used everything I could find. Pimsleur, I've found, is very good for people who learn aurally, or who already know the basics of a language. I'm going through Pimsleur's Italian series right now, and find it extremely useful, because I already know a lot of basic grammar.

I was often very frustrated with Pimsleur's Czech and Hungarian programs, though, because there's nothing in writing, and I'm one of those types who needs to visualize a word in writing. So in choosing a language system, think about what teaching techniques work best for you. Use several systems, if you can. A sort of cross-training.

In searching the internet for resources, I came across a site - which I don't have the name of - in which you could sign up for long-distance lessons in a variety of languages, with native speakers, using skype. You might want to search out that technique, so you could correspond with a native speaker who can devote time to teaching you.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:07 AM

Hi Greg...

I can help you, although by the looks of things my reply may be a tad too late...

I learnt Albanian, started a few years back... With an accent that allows me to speak to people from Kosovo, Albania as well as Macedonia.

I used the skillcruiser, which is a GREAT product. It teaches you a language really fast if you stick to the rules given.

I learnt Albanian, French, Italian, and now learning Spanish with them. www.skillcruiser.com

My Albanian is now so good that I can have conversations about nearly everything. I think I still do make some mistakes when speaking, but...lol...who cares? I make myself understood perfectly well.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 04:04 AM

I learnt Albanian, French, Italian,...

My!