Le Jardin Sarlat

Search

Le Jardin Sarlat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Jardin Sarlat

Has anyone stayed at the Jardin in Sarlat? I'm having a lot of trouble getting hold of them. They are not answering my emails and the phone stays busy. If you stayed there, how did you get hold of them?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I just answered this on another post:
DO you mean Le Jardin de Clelia? http://www.le-jardin-de-clelia.com/

If so, I haven't stayed there, but pass it often as I drive into Sarlat. It is NOT in the centre of town, and you would not be able to walk into town. Or, more correctly, you might be able to walk down into the town, but I doubt very much that you would want to walk back up. Sarlat is in a valley, and this chambre d'hotes is on one of the hills.

These are also pretty basic rooms, with not much charm. There are a number of new houses around. I don't find the site very attractive.

If you do want to have good parking, and be a little outside Sarlat, have a look at http://la-colline-dorance.com/
The rooms are charming, and Christine, who runs it, is extremely nice, and speaks some English.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Ditto what Carlux says. If you DO mean Le Jardin de Clelia, it's a pain to walk, and as long as you'd need to drive in and out anyway, why not stay right in town or farther away where there's more atmosphere and nicer rooms.

If you are not referring to Le Jardin de Clelia, what ARE you referencing?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM

I gather you mean www.lejardin-sarlat.com/index.html It really does help to have a reference.

OK, this Jardin is within walking distance, but I have never stayed there, obviously. (I live near Sarlat, and manage properties there, so no need to stay somewhere else!)

Are you calling the correct number? 33 5 53 29 22 67? They should be answering your email, although they may be busy at this time of year. No excuse though.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

I apologize for not being clear. I am referring to http://www.lejardin-sarlat.com/

I am looking for a place in Sarlat. I would prefer to be able to walk to and from dinner. However I need to be able to park a car. Perhaps a little outside of town would be better and explore different places for dinner. We'll be taking day trips each day. It's all very confusing to someone who has not been there. I would appreciate any suggestions. A B&B is appealing, but am not opposed to a hotel.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Check out Les Cordeliers, which is a great B&B and which is perfectly located. We stayed there for 4 nights in May. Here is the URL:
http://www.hotelsarlat.com/

And here is the URL of my web page about our trip in May:
http://www.travel.stv77.com/bordeaux/bordeaux.htm

Maybe it will help you in your planning.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:43 PM

I am sorry that I must contradict sssteve's reco for Les Cordeliers. We also stayed there just about the same time. We were there for a week and while there were some good points to the place, i.e. :

1) nicely located
2) very large rooms
3) decent breakfast
4) availability of cold and warm drinks plus snacks 24/7 in a little kitchenette for guests

I did not enjoy the following :
1) brusque and even rudeness of the owner
2) WiFi which did not work and "could not be fixed" the ENTIRE week we were there (and ONLY in our top floor room - elsewhere it did work)
3) a constant feeling that we were "intruding" in someone's home

If the above do not bother you, and the plusses outweigh the minusses for you, go for it.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM

Sorry you are having problemms.Might be something wrong with their email. I have not stayed there but had made a reservation for this fall which I had to cancel and they werevery prompt in getting back to me.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 01:42 AM

Flem04, we were there in early June. ONCE we figured it out (a challenge) found it not hard to park right outside the "old city" unless it is a market day. We stayed in an apartment, and parked in one of the free spaces right across the street by the gendarmerie- called Place de Bouquerie. There is a public map you can get at the Tourist Info center--or perhaps download at home--and it shpws the public parking and the # of available spaces. Most are pay, some not.

Below is one map, which you might be able to enlarge. All the "P"s are public parking, but at first we went nuts trying to get a sense of direction, and must have circled the old town about 3 times!!! Note too that the map gave an impression of it being a much bigger area around the town. So we kept passing where we needed to turn. Sorry for vagueness, but perhaps it's better to be prepared for initial confusion (we weren't)!!

http://www.sarlat.com/geographie/plan2.jpg

Re lodging, friends stayed here and loved it: Villa des Consuls. I think there are suites as well as hotel rooms
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM

The whole parking issue depends on when you stay in Sarlat. In July and August this can be a real problem. People who think they have 'discovered' the Dordogne are often amazed at how many other people have done the same thing Sarlat is VERY busy in the summer.

At other times, there is much less of a problem. The parking lot CaniNurse mentions is the Place Salvador Allende, in front of the Sous Prefecture, by the Place de la Bouquerie. It is free except for July and Augsut, and you can usually get a spot there, although you may have to wait 5-10 minute for someone to leave. There are two other large parking lots on Blvd Eugene le Roy, which are free all year. You can walk down the hill and be in the centre of Sarlat in a few minutes.

Staying in a B&B, or Chambres d'hotes, in the centre of town, like La Lanterne or Les Cordeliers means that you will have to rely on finding parking. As I say, in off season, this isn't such an issue. Le Jardin is away from the 'old town' in a residential area, and you can walk in from there. It just isn't as romantic as staying in the old town. But the certainly of having a place may be worth it to you.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 07:12 AM

I must counter Flame's (interesting name) negative review of Les Cordeliers. We found the owners extremely friendly and helpful. As for the private home thing, maybe Flame has never stayed in a real B&B, where it actually is somebody's home. Les Cordeliers is more like an inn or guesthouse. There is no public lounge. But our room was very large. I thought the breakfast very good. And they had a small kitchen for use by guests with free drinks, wine, espresso coffee, tea, snacks. Really a nice convenience. Plus the location was very convenient. We stayed there this last May and found parking on the street each night.
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Flame has stayed in many real B&B's and guesthouses. In fact that is the type of lodging I prefer and choose 9 times out of 10. I realize that I am in the minority in my feelings of how I felt and was treated at Les Cordeliers. Otherwise how would I have found it at such a high rating on tripadvisor and chosen it over others? I just gave my personal opinion and interaction/experience, as do others on this board. After all, that is all one can do. The OP will have to make their choice based on what personal experience each poster divulges.

And I am pleased you like my screen name!!
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Flame:

You must have been there during a bad week for Chris or Amanda. We found them very friendly, and Chris even went out and bought a head of lettuce for Alisa's breakfasts.

As for the WiFi, that was an inconvenience, but we went down and sat in the breakfast room, and Chris was very apologetic and seemed to be sincerely trying to solve the problem.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:21 AM

sssteve : I have a reply for you but since I don't want to sound nitpicking and/or hijack the OP's thread too much, I can answer you privately if you are interested.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM

First--thank you, Carlux!! Yes, that was it--Place Salvador Allende (CHile meets old Sarlat!) Good thing we wernt there in July or August!!As alwasy, i am thankful for your knowledge, which helped us on our trip.
Flem04,, if you end up in Sarlat, , there are also little streets leading away from that corner parking (mentioned above) which often had parking spaces.

Apologies for hijacking, but i truly appreciate contrasting pov's on highly rated and reviewed hotels,B and Bs, etc .i have been in those places and wondered if reviewers stayed in another place!!
Sometimes, it takes guts to write contrasting comments. I was horrified to read a nasty defensive owner response on TA, directed to someone who had "dared" to criticize a highly rated olace in Umbria. Those repsonses--soietimes grackious, sometimes ugly-- tell a lot too. Thanks Flame123, for inspiring me to write a review I've hesitated to write(a place in Sorrento) for fear of hurting the owner's feelings!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM

CaliNurse - thanks for your reply to me. It is VERY difficult to write a contrasting or negative review. I have been "attacked" for it verbally on other boards in the past and so I am indeed hesitant when doing so. Now as to Sorrento, since we will be there in 2 months time, I would really appreciate a heads up on which place you are talking about. Thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Flem04, here is another idea. they do NOT require a one-week minimum stay and the flat we stayed in (Gite Presidial) was exactly as pictured:
http://www.in-sarlat.fr/holiday-rent...ays-rental.php
they have many flats reasonably-priced for rent in the center of old Sarlat, and as i wrote above, parking was not difficult (this was in early June) just a few minutes' walk into the center, across the "encircling" streets from our the flat.

@Flame: i totally understand. Thank you for (unbeknownst to you at the time!) encouraging me to write my "go against the majority" review. It is not yet posted on TA, but refers to what is now #4 of the Sorrento "specialty lodging" My TA reviews are under the same name i use on Fodors . We had reasonable expectations--not fulfilled in reality-- based on reviews. I am now very suspicious of reviews for places where there a multitude of one-time only post-ers.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM

CaliNurse, I appreciate your reply and also saw your review in Tripadvisor. It is always difficult to write a review that is not glowing BUT it is very helpful for others to also hear about an experience that was less than stellar. I am very wary of proprietors who try to encourage their clients to write a good review on tripadvisor. This should not have to be encouraged, it should come naturally if the client is pleased with the place they visited. Thankfully, the place I have booked is not the one where you stayed. Hope you will have better experiences in the future.