Layover Time Allowed by Airlines?

Oct 25th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Layover Time Allowed by Airlines?

Does anyone know what the time (generally) allowed by airlines for a layover is?

The next time I fly overseas, I would like to stay overnight at the international departure gateway, but I'm not sure how long the airlines allow passengers between flights.

Anyone know?

Thank you.
Oct 25th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hi Celiaane, the way to get the absolute information is to check with the airline that you will be flying with. Best wishes.
Oct 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, LoveItaly.

I've looked at United's site, but I see nothing. I guess I'll have to actually use the phone!

Oct 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

It has been my experience that if you arrive after last flight of the day has departed and depart on the first flight the next day they will not charge you for the layover.
Oct 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM

In my experience with Air France where there is just one flight per day to my destination, they will hold up the flight until all passengers board. Usually the delay is caused by those secondary security checks where they pull people randomly out of line just as they are about to jumb aboard the shuttle bus to the tarmac.
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thought I would share the answer I got from United.

The maximum time allowed between flights for United is 12 hours.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM

FYI--a slightly different scenario. I recently booked a trip on Luthansa with direct flight US-FRA, then a connection onward in Europe. I chose segments in and out of FRA just under 24 hours apart and was charged the same as the flight with 2 hr connecting time in FRA. So, I would guess LH in FRA limit is < 24 hours.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Or plug in an open jaw itinerary allowing yourself a night in the gateway city. I did that returning to the U.S. on my last trip, to spend a night in Amsterdam. Cost was the same as if I'd just made a connecting flight the same day. This was on NWA.
Oct 26th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Even using frequent flier miles, I've been able to have a stopover last night in my international departure city. They've just required that I take the next AVAILABLE flight. It's pretty easy to do since if you're flying in from someother city you'll often miss the international flight. I've just not taken the early morning flight that you'd need to make the connection.

For instance, I flew from Strasbourg to Paris on AF at about noon. Since I missed the flights to the States, I got to spend the rest of the day in Paris. Fortunately, the next available flight on UA was the next afternoon. It may not always work but it's worked for me on my last couple trips.