Lausanne or Geneva

Old May 17th, 1998, 05:03 AM
Richard Von Schlichten

Lausanne or Geneva

My wife and I are considering taking the train from Dijon to Lausanne for about four days. We'd like to hear from anyone who has stayed in Laussane or any nearby towns. Any recommendations for places to stay and eat. We are looking for daily accomodations in the $80 price range which may not be possible in Geneva. Any help will be appreciated.

Old May 28th, 1998, 07:23 PM
Kay

When flying out of Geneva last year, we stayed in Vevey. From there we took the train and visited Laussanne and Montreux. The ride along the vineyards was quite lovely. We liked Vevey because it was smaller and quieter than the others. Nice old town and promenade. Montreux was getting ready for the jazz festival, so quite busy, but interesting people watching. We weren't very impressed with the old town of Laussanne.
We stayed at the Des Negociants in the old town. Nothing fancy, but comfortable, clean, and efficient. The food was good too.

Old May 29th, 1998, 07:25 AM
helena

Lausanne is a charming town. If you like truffles and other chocolates, I recommend a small store on Rue Pichard (also a small street) where they make the best I've ever tried. I don't remember the name, but as you're walking uphill on Rue Pichard, it's on the right, near the bottom of the street. Wow. I hope they're still there.

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 06:48 PM
Dennis Holland

I like Lausanne better than Geneva. Try to stay in the Ouchy section down by the lake. The Olympic museum is great. Take a boat on Lake Geneva, visit Chillian castle nearby. There is a hostel with private baths and TV's in every room for about $60. per night, single occ. The market in the main city is good. Also a chain of cafeteria restaurants has good food at more reasonable prices, not cheap, this is after all Switzerland. Tourist office in Ouchy or at the train station can set you up with hotels, restaurants, sightseeing.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 12:01 PM
CT

Go to Lausanne! What a fantastic little town!! The people are wonderfully friendly, the food is excellent, and there's lots to see and do. It's been a number of years now but we stayed along the lake at a place called Hotel Du Lac. As I recall the price was right, and the food was EXCELLENT!!!

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 05:51 AM
Helena

I remembered the name of the chocolate store in Lausanne - Ahern. Truffles of many varieties, incredible chocolates, etc.... Family owned and operated for years, they'll show you the manufacturing, if you want (or at least they used to!) Lausanne is great, I liked it better than Geneva. Take a boat trip across the lake to Evian for dinner.