Italian phrases used by tourists most...

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:05 PM
Shelly

Italian phrases used by tourists most...

As a non-Italian speaking tourist, but one who is quite eager to learn, I wonder if there are any particular phrases that would be considered "must learn" prior to my trip. I've bought several reference guides but I'm afraid I won't possibly remember everything. Any help in narrowing my choices of which to learn - would be appreciated!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 05:28 AM
wes fowler

One of the problems I have in attempting to learn key foreign phrases is the fact that while I may understand what I'm saying I won't have a clue in understanding the response I get! Language guides rarely address what the tourist is going to hear in response to a question asked. I see no value in learning any phrases other than those common courtesy dictates, i. e., "good morning-afternoon -evening, please, thank you, excuse me". In addition, the phrase "Where is the" train station, rest room, airport, museum comes in pretty handy. Most natives will recognize that our pronunciation of any of these phrases identifies us as American tourists and will attempt to respond in English or find someone who can.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 08:20 AM
Cheryl Z.

"un cucchiaio, per favore"

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 09:51 AM
wes fowler

Cheryl Z.
Un cucchiaio? Ai,no, perdono, un cucchiaino! Grazie!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 01:16 PM
Colleen

"Due birra, per favore." And don't forget that you must ASK for the check, or you'll be waiting all night: "Il conto, per favore." Smiling and pointing works for most things, and prices are always shown on register tapes or on the register. Enjoy!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 02:16 PM
kam

A nicer way to say please is "per piacere"
Grazie---thank you
Come si chiamo questo? ---"What is this called?"
Dove---Where?
Va bene---it's good (can also be a question)
Quanto costa questo? --What does this cost?
Desidero ---I would like, as in ordering in a restaurant--never I want "voglio"
Italians use prego for a lot of things--to answer the phone, to say it's nothing and to get your attentiion.
Rules about ciao---never use it to someone older than you or to someone you don't know well--Always buon giorno and arrivederci.
Permisso--asking to be allowed through a crowd
Scusi--excuse me
e vero??---Is that correct?
And, perhaps the most useful of all if you plan to rent a car "Senso Unico"-----One Way!! (a friend of mine thought that was the name of the street and wondered why so many streets were named the same!!) Also signs reading "Centro Citta" are directing you to the center of the town, most likely the cathedral. (It's prounounced Chentro Chitta, with the accent on the last syllable of Chitta!)
All letters in an Italian word are pronounced and generally the accent is placed on the next to the last syllable. Ce and Ci and prounounced like check and chick. The same goes for Ge and Gi. If you add a h in between ghe sounds like Spaghetti. Confused?---I'll stop!
In general Italians are very tolerant of our attempts to speak their language, which is very beautiful when spoken well. Most of the younger people speak English and you should have no problem. THey really do appreciate your making an effort, however.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 03:31 PM
Cheryl Z.

Hi Wes - whats Italian for dummy (me!) I'm having a bad day, I thought I was saying "un bottiglia di vino". Geez!

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 10:56 AM
kam

Just to answer your question---Italian for dummy is stupido(a) depending on your gender!! Oh well....