Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

late Saturday closing hours at Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel questions

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Rome early on Saturday July 1, 2006, and have noticed on the Vatican web-sight that the Museum closes late that day (4:45).

As this is the most convenient day for us to see the Sistine Chapel, I would like to know if anyone could help to answer the following questions:

(a) why would the Museum be open later than usual on this Saturday;

(b) are the lines likely to be shorter early in the afternoon (12;30 or so)on this Saturday (which appears to be the common situation on most other days of the week, as per the information contained in various other threads);and

(c) has anyone been at the Sistine Chapel on a Saturday afternoon when there has been a later closing, and if so, is it less crowded due to peop[le not knowing that it is in fact opened later than usual?

I would appreciate any help, as we are, for other reasons, trying to leave Rome early Monday morning, and would prefer to be able to see the Museum on Saturday, if it would not be too "crazy".

As always, many thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

the first top-up of the day.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

a further top-up for the lunch-time crowd.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM

(a) It appears from the Vatican website that the Museums are open later one Saturday a month during the summer (May - August).

(b) Possibly. However, I think that even with the later hours, Saturdays in the summer are to be avoided if at all possible. If you must go on Saturday, I would suggest taking a tour to avoid the long lines.

(c) I haven't been there on a Saturday with later hours, but I think you may indeed get some relief from the crowds in the Sistine Chapel just before closing.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I would not leave the Sistine Chapel too close to closing time. If the Vatican Museums close at 4:45, they are likely to start chasing people out of the Sistine Chapel at 4:15 or 4:30 at the latest in order to have everyone out and be able to lock the doors at 4:45.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

luv2 and Eloise - thanks so much for your advice. As we don't have any real alternative, we will try to line up at about 1:00, if we are unable to arrange for(or make in time) the Vatican's own 11:15 tour.