Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Handling the crowds at the Sistine Chapel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Malcolm

What's the best way to beat the lines at the Sistine Chapel? Is it best to reserve tickets before leaving the US? Is there a time of day that's best to go? Also, do you have to go at some predetermined pace through the rest of the Vatican Museum or can you just go straight to the Chapel? (We'll have kids in tow.) Any other suggestions, experiences welcome! Thanks,<BR>MB

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Howard

Simple response:<BR>1. You cannot book tickets in advance at the Vatican Museum.<BR>2. Go first thing in the morning and go directly to the Sistine Chapel and then backtrack to visit other parts of the museum.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:50 AM
sally

I recommend first looking on the website of the vatican to see opening and closing times for the day you plan to visit. I think the hours are quite regular this time of year but if you visit in the winter or early spring the hours can be irregular. I forget the web address but if you do a google search I am sure you could find it. Maybe another forum poster could provide it also. <BR><BR>If you are planning to spend a few hours there but not all day, which I imagine that you will do if you have kids I would head to the vatican at lunch time. Everyone gets the same advice and lines up first thing in the morning. Unless you are super organized and manage to get there very early and beat the line, I think you will have better luck, getting there when people start leaving in the afternoon. I got there about 3-4 hours before closing time, bought a sandwich and ate in line and found the museums to be much less crowded then when I previously visited in the morning. At lunchtime school groups and tour buses are leaving so if you visit the rooms in order (e.g. not race to the sistine chapel at the end), by the time you get there, it will be less crowded. <BR><BR>With that said, it is always packed in the sistine chapel unless by some miracle you are at the front of line when the museums open and race to the sistine chapel first. that is great if you can actually do that but it seems like a lot of people have the same idea.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:54 AM
sandi

We got up early and stood in line about an hour before the Vatican opened. We were approx. 30th in line. When the doors open, go immediately to the counter to get your audio guide and proceed directly to the Sistine Chapel. It will take you at least 20 minutes to walk to it. Save the site seeing for after you view the chapel.. When we finally arrived, there were about 6 people inside. It remained fairly empty for at least 45 minutes, then proceeded to be fully packed which is when we left. The we were able to stroll thru the rest of the halls.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:23 AM
pamb

We took our 12-year-old and 14-year-old in June, and while it wasn't too terribly crowded, they complained that it took forever to actually get to the Sistine Chapel. If you rush to get to it and then try to backtrack through the rest of the museum, I think you'll have extremely cranky kids.<BR> You also should note that in the modern art section before you get to the Sistine Chapel there are some very disturbing works of art. In my son's words, "nightmare-inducing art." So be warned, you may want to walk fast through that part.<BR> That said, our kids loved seeing the Sistine Chapel. The Vatican Museum is huge, and you will not be able to see everything (especially with kids). There is a very good cafeteria in the basement and don't forget to get some stamps in the Vatican post office (these make good cheap souvenirs).<BR>Pam B.<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:37 AM
tipper

One tip: Try to schedule the Chapel on a day when the Pope is holding a public audience in Vatican Square. At least then, a lot of the crowd will be at the Vatican next door.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Alice

I was there in June, and was delighted by my line-avoidance skills. We arrived at the Vatican Museum literally 2 minutes before it closed at 2:20pm. We were the last ones in and there was NO line. We walked right in, bought our tix, and went through the museum. Note, closing time is the hour they stop letting people in, but they don’t kick you out. Assuming you want to see the Sistine most of all, you’ll have plenty of time to take an easy pace through the rest of the museums before hitting the Chapel. By the time we got to the Chapel, it was still crowded, but NOTHING like the late morning crowds. There were even seats available on the benches inside the Chapel!<BR><BR>I highly recommend this approach. Note: don’t wear shorts, baseball caps, or tank-tops. I saw several people asked to leave due to their attire.<BR><BR>- Alice

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM
dean

There is a way to avoid the lines at the Vatican, book a tour in advance. There is a separate charge for the tour plus the price of the entrance tickets. I recall it as being about $20.00 total per person. You will go to a special tour area, check in and then be called for your tour. <BR><BR>The tour lasts a little over an hour and ends with your being guided into the Sistina. The guide is not allowed to talk in the Capella so the tour is actually over before you go in. The guide will explain how you can either reneter the Museum for exit after your time in the Sistina. Our two teen aged nephews were ready to leave after the tour and about half an hour to an hour in the Sistina. <BR><BR>The most annoying part about the Sistina, IMO, is not the crowd but the guards shushing the crowds. They are more annoying than anything else. Plus they do nothing to stop folk from snapping flash pictures in the chapel which is against the rules. Plus in a space that large, flashes are largely ineffective so people are disturbing their neighbors to no advantage for their own selfish purpose.<BR><BR>Also be warned that food service and snacks in the area are extremely expensive. I do believe there is a Buon Ricordo restaurant in the area, but most places are tourist traps, film is extremely expensive and the mineral water is as bad as at the Coloseum.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Eric

Great tips- I would second the suggestion to eat at the Vatican Museum cafeteria- prices were reasonable and the air conditioning felt great after the stuffy museums. I took a tour and did not have to wait long but if you don't take a tour going in just before closing on Wed. sounds like a perfect way to beat the crowds. There is so much to see so go to the Sistine Chapel first before the kids get cranky and tired. Enjoy. BY the way, you must see St, Peter's Basilica. It will blow you away.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Malcolm

Wow, great tips. Thanks a lot everyone. <BR><BR>By the way I did find a site that offers to reserve tickets in advance, altho for $50 a head! Don't have the bookmark on the computer I'm using right now but can track it down if anyone's interested.<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>Malcolm<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Howard

Malcolm, what do you get for $50?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Malcolm

Howard,<BR><BR>According to the blurb, a two-hour guided tour of the museum plus no wait in lines to get in. Go to Selectitaly.com and you'll see it advertised in the pop-up box that comes up when you first enter the site. What do you think? Good deal, or stick with the audio tours?<BR><BR>Malcolm<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Howard

I think it's a lot of money. By the way, the audio tour is excellent, one of the best I've ever encountered in any museum.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:36 AM
lyn

Just returned from Rome and I second the plan to go at the end of the day. The guards did start arbitrarily telling people to leave when they decided to close up, so if the Sistine Chapel is your prime reason for going,be sure to allow yourself enough time.<BR><BR>St Peters is also much less crowded late in the day, we went after the museum & we heard the 5 pm mass being celebrated. <BR><BR>Last thought = to really be blown away, take the Scavi tour. Gave me chills.