Reload this Page >

Lasting friendships made abroad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Rand

One of the delights of solo travel, I've found, is the chance to develop a circle of friends around the world. A chance 20-minute bus conversation with a stranger netted me a new friend (and second home) in Stockholm. Conversations begun online also have ripened into real friendships. I'd love to hear others' stories of lasting friendships forged in foreign lands--maybe someone will inspire me to launch yet another!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 07:24 PM
kalena

Our most recent lasting friendships from have come through home-exchanging. <BR> <BR>And although I may get bashed for stereotyping, I think it's very easy to develop friendships in Europe, maybe easier than in the US. As a whole, small courtesies among friends are more ritualized than in our culture. I fondly remember my student days and the wonderful friendships I developed while at Cite Universitaire. Unfortunately, I was the one that did not keep up with writing. Now that I think of it, maybe solo traveling had something to do with it? <BR>Good thing we have email now. The world and our friends are literally at our fingertips!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 08:58 PM
Art

I rented a room with a private family while in Budapest last year and have stayed in touch with them. I made several friends whild living in Germany but over the years have lost touch with most of them (mostly my fault). <BR>

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:17 AM
Mary Jayne

Several years ago, while in London at a pastelerria (having refreshments), with the close seating and table sharing, we exchanged addresses with a delightful british couple and much to their surprise, I did write them after arriving home. After that, each time we have visited London area, we have spent a little time with them and they, in turn spent a fortnight with us in the U.S. and we are the best of friends, both in writing and visiting. Keep yourself open for such exchanges, makes travel and life, so interesting.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Al

While eating dinner one evening in a small hotel in Brittany, a man came to our table. He said he overheard us speaking English and asked if we would mind if he and his wife joined us because "we're simply dying to speak English." We welcome them to our table with the admonition that since they were British, they might not always understand our Arizona lingo. That was 15 years ago. We have visited their home outside London, they have visited us, our children have come to know one another, and we now form a circuit across the United States, to England, and on to New Zealand. We are like family. All because one lonely man and wife took a chance on another lonely man and wife. Is there a lesson here? Yes. Just do it.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 05:42 AM
doc

For the past 30 years or so we have participated in the American Host program. This involves hosting teachers (and recently added librarians) from primarily Europe (recently expanded to include Australia and New Zealand) for a period of 10 days to two weeks. We've made many lasting friendships from this participation. When we've had an opportunity to visit Europe on a number of occasions, our former guests become wonderful hosts! It's been a great experience for all concerned.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Linda

Agree with Art re the Fleps, we have kept in touch with our friends in Budapest. Also, worked with German teachers of English & have maintained relationships with them. Met a Polish teacher in the same train compartment & am in touch with her.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Richard

A chance encounter while walking in Cesky Krumlov, a brief conversation with a German couple. Later we saw them again as we were having drinks on our hotel terrace and again when we went to dinner. They invited us to their table, they insisted we have a Becherovka and we found much in common. Since then, we've met them in Luxembourg in 1999, in Paris this year and will meet them in Kiel Germany in May of 2001. We stayed at their home in Delmenhorst in '99 and will again this May. So far we haven't convinced them to visit us in Dallas, TX. We also met a French couple in Cabourg, at a cafe. They invited us to their home, we had an aperitif and went to dinner. In Schongau, we met a senior citizen, she invited us to her flat, took great pride in showing her Hummel collection, dating from her Grandmother's time, then insisted on driving us to a local church to explain it's history. I think we have our good fortune in meeting Europeans because we are senior citizens cycling solo in Europe. I also give much credit to my gregarious wife, I'm a crusty New Englander. We still exchange Christmas cards and notes with everyone.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 12:32 PM
elvira

While wearing an Elvis tshirt, I was asked by a shopgirl in Malta where I'd gotten it, as her mother was a big fan. That night, I washed it out and next day took it to her as a gift for her mom (we Elvis fans have a special bond). We've kept in touch by letters and Christmas cards.<BR>Through Sheila, met Liz via email and in person, I intend to accost her again on my next visit to England.<BR>My delightful landlord in Paris, who's been invited to visit me when next in the U.S., and I him the next time I'm in Paris. Emails and when he gets my late Christmas gift of Arizona wine, I'm sure quite a response.<BR>Our hostess in London, whom we've been unable to contact in the last year. Worrisome.<BR>Not only are they wonderful people, no matter where they live - too bad so far away - but for those whose English is a second language, a profound respect for anyone who can get through this confusing language.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:27 AM
liz

While walking the hills in Tuscany outside San Gimignano last year a woman passed me and said Hello. All of the sudden I realized I recognized that language! We started talking, spent the day together and then went on to Venice together as well to hang out for 2 days. She lives in Adelaide Australia, I live in Seattle. We still remain friends through email, letters, packages, etc. and will get together again. Solo travelling is wonderful for meeting new people because as interesting as you may be even after a few days you become sick of yourself and need to make some new friends! ;-) I also met some women from Scotland when I was visiting Whistler this last summer just by commenting on how pretty the one woman's purse was. They then visited my home when they came to Seattle and we have corresponded since then as well. It's really just a matter of opening up to people and they'll respond in kind I've found.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 09:25 AM
russ i

It was such a great feeling to get holiday greetings this year from 7 different friends that we made while in Italy (including new baby photos from one couple). Since coming home last year we have hosted 2 of our new friends, and are already planning our visits for 2001.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:52 AM
xxx

Ditto on the holiday greetings. Mine this year included cards and e-cards from friends from Chile, Venezuela, Iran, Stockholm, and England (the last a long-lost cousin actually discovered by my father on his first trip to the UK). What a great thing to feel so connected to so many parts of the world!