Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Savi tour, Papal audience, Museo Borghese - need advice

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Bob

Would like to arrange to see or partake in the above. Can someone tell me how I can arrange these tours and make reservations prior to leaving the U.S. for Rome?

I believe there may be faxes or emails that one can use but I cannot track this information down.

Appreciate your help.

Bob

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Maira

Bob--- the following website is the best site I have come across for travel advice to Rome http://www.twenj.com. Browsing their layout, you should be able to locate all the info you need regarding tickets for all the events you listed. I just got the confirmation on my reservations for the Uficcio Scavi tours which I e-mailed for last September. For tickets to the Papal Audience, I am going to call as I tried to make reservations be e-mailing the American Parish in Rome (Paulist Fathers) as advised, but never heard from them.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Larry

Hi, Bob, can't help with reservations but highly recommend Borghese and we are not museum people- the Bernini marble is great!!

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Cathy

Bob and Maria,
For tickets to the Papal audience go to the Swiss Guards on the right side of St Peter's Sq and ask them to show where the office for the tickets is. Do this as soon as you arrive in Rome as if the audience is inside then tickets are limited. In the summer it is usually outside in the Sq and is easily accessable. It is norally on Wednesdays. Many people who are not interested in the audience go to the Museums during the Pope's address as the line is usually short.

RE the Scavi tour send a fax stating when you want to do the tour and give a few options, children under the age of 13 are not permitted and it is not advisable for people who have difficulty walkiung as it is a working site and access is difficult in places. However it is one of the real good tours in Rome .

For tours of the Vatican itself the Vatican Tourist Office offers free tours from their office each afternoon

Hope you have a great time in Rome,

Cathy

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 06:45 PM
adrienne

Hi Bob,

The number for the Borghese Museum is 3225240. When you call they'll give you a confirmation number which you present when picking up your tickets. You pay for the tickets when you pick them up. There's no charge for the reservation. The tickets are good only for 2 hours so arrive ahead of time since you'll need time to get the tickets and check your bags-only very small purses allowed, no coats, umbrellas, backpacks, etc. (about 1/2 hour for these activities). After you get your ticket you proceed up to the top floor for the paintings and trompe l'oeil rooms. The sculptures are on the floor below so allow enough time to see them. At the end of the 2 hours the guards firmly request everyone to vacate the museum and you leave by a different door than the one you entered. You have to go back into the museum to pickup your belongings.

The Borghese was one of my favorite places in Rome and I wished I had had more time there. The Berninis were fabulous.

Adrienne

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 09:11 PM
Renee

Hi Bob,

We found that when we were in Rome, our hotel was able to reserve for us the tickets for the Borghese museum, and we picked them up when we got to the front desk.
Also, Vastours in Rome (info. at most hotel front desk)will arrange a tour to be part of the papal audience if you're interested. Just another option, in case you want to arrange things once you are there.
Have fun!

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:59 AM
frank

Bob, we were in Rome last July and went on the Scavi tour. Definately do not miss it. This is an on-going excavation and an amazing look at the early church. Pass the swiss guard (left side of the vatican) keep going until you see the scavi office. Reservations in advance are necc. so try to contact them by e-mail. If you have trouble getting their e-mail add contact me and I will try to get it for you.