Last post before Italian trip...woohoo!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I amn not woohooing because this is my last post, I am woohooing because this time tomorrow we will be en route to The Boot (OK, I'll still be in American airspace, but we turn right at New York City at 7:40 PM). Anyhow, just a word of thanks to all the many posters (no, not the kind you see in the subway) who have been so informative, kind and forthcoming with Italian travel tidbits. I think we have all the "i's" crossed and "t's" dotted (or something like that) and now all we have to do is just go have some fun. And if we have a couple of glitches, that's OK. If we were looking for a smooth and predictable travel experience, we would have booked a tour. I think the highight of the trip will be the unscripted moments. I remember as vividly my argument with an elderly British gentleman about the usage of "oriented" vs. "orientated" from our UK trip as I do our visit to the Tower of London. A conversation with a Welsh sheep farmer is as memorable to me as our visit to Stonehenge.

I hope to come back with a tangible memory of things that I have seen only in books and movies all my life. The chance to see God and Adam outstretched to one another in the Sistine Chapel, to walk the ancient steps of the Colosseum, and to watch my little boy chase pigeons in St Mark's Square will be burned into our collective memories.

Travel realy is a great privilege, and we may never have an opportunity to go back, so we want to soak up every moment that we can. Carpe Diem, and all that kind of stuff. I am amused by the high stress levels (some of it displayed by me) amongst some of us who contribute to this forum. I don't endorse a lack of preparation, but once the preparations are in place, and you have done all your homework, then it's time to turn off the background noise and just enjoy your destination. Sure it's easier to stay home, but you can't broaden your horizons watching 15 episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond" every week.

If you can make it happen, go someplace you haven't been before. We chose Italy, and with the exception of the brutal exchange rate, I am sure that we won't regret it.

Trip reports to follow, unless of course I can find a dilapidated old villa in Cortona that needs fixing up, in which case I will be out of touch for a while. Can you get WTBS in Italy?

Leavin' on a jet plane.....

gravysandwich

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Wonderful.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Have a great trip, gravysandwich! Looking forward to hearing about it when you return.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Carpe Diem...Amen.

My best wishes to you and your family for a glorious trip to Italia!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Have a FAB time and I look forward to this trip report!!
<i><font color="red"> Buon Viaggio</font></i>
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Buon Viaggio, and don't forget to wave at us when you turn right at NYC.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Have a great trip! I'm going in Sept, so I really look forward to your trip report.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Have a wonderful trip!

BTW, don't knock Everybody Loves Raymond - there was an absolutely fantastic episode about 4 years ago where the family visited Rome. Raymond starts out negative and then you watch as Italy captures his heart. I'm sure many here can relate. I have it on tape and have watched it dozens of times
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Hope you and yours have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hello gravysandwich, my very best wishes to you and your family for the most beautiful visit in beautiful Italy.

I too will look forward to your trip report when you return home.

And I understand your excitment! Enjoy every moment, I know you will!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM

I think Italy is about to capture another heart!

Have a wonderful wonderful time, and tell us all about it when you come home.

Byrd
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
JohnWM

Have a great vacation, gravysandwich! Let yourself get &quot;oriented&quot; to la doce vita. wink, wink.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:11 PM

WooHOO, there's only one first time! And nothing quite like it. Have a great time. If the dots slide off the &quot;i's&quot; and the &quot;t's&quot; lose their crosses, no big deal. You are having an adventure and it will unfold around you. Ciao baby!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Hey gravysandwich, have a great trip!! Look forward to your post when you return. I always use &quot;oriented&quot; and I hate it when people say &quot;orientated&quot;

Who is right??? Me or them? Ah the mysteries of life!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

OK, this is really my last post. I mean it.

The kindly old British gentleman used &quot;orientated&quot;, and I used &quot;oriented&quot; to describe something. I felt like my fly was open during the whole conversation. In retrospect, I think it had less to do with the fact that I was American than with the considerable age difference between us. Funny how things stick in your memory.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I will, indeed, post a trip report upon my return.

...Don't know when I'll be back again.

gravysandwich
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 01:33 AM

I'll tell you that you made me smile with your excitement about your trip. We'll wait for you.

Have a wonderful trip, gravysandwich!