Reload this Page >

Last night before Heathrow...where???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Len

I am going to England for 10 days in the Spring with my Dad. After 4 days in London and then 2 in the Bath area, and then 2 in Northern Cotswolds area, we had planned on heading back to London for our final day and night before flying out of Heathrow back to NYC. Now, after hearing many suggestions, people tell me I should not deal with the congestion of London and instead spend the last eve in Windsor, or a town outside London within easy reach of Heathrow. Thus, after doing some investigating I wonder if Windsor, Henley-on-Thames, or Woodstock is the best for our final day and night. We both love history and would love to be a quaint historical place. Woodstock seems to evoke that but is it too far to get to Heathrow in the morning? Windsor looks great as well, but what is the city like? Thoughts and recommendations much appreciated.<BR><BR>Oh yeah, and hotel recs in these places would be very helpful...Thanks.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
janis

Woodstock is actually on the edge of the Cotswolds so if you are thinking of staying there, I'd just add a 3rd night in the Cotswolds and visit Woodstock and Blenheim Palace that day.<BR><BR>Don't get too hung up on being in the &quot;northern&quot; Cotswolds. The area is very compact and all of the cotswolds are within easy reach no matter what part you are in. If you are near the A40 or M40 it is a relatively quick drive to LHR. count on 90 mins to 2 hours depending on how far off the motorway you are. It is about an hour from Oxford - but you need to tack on the time it takes to return the rental car and catch the shuttle to the airport.<BR><BR>But staying in Windsor would be a great idea. You could drop your car at the rental agency and wander Windsor on foot. then you are only a 15 minute cab ride fron LHR. That way you don't have the hassle of turning in the car on the day of your flight.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Janie

Dear Len.<BR>If you want to stay out of London I would definintely choose Windsor. I don't know of any accommodation you will need to do your own search. However, here are some websites for things to do and see:<BR><BR>http://www.etoncollege.com/default.asp<BR>http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page557.asp<BR>http://www.royal-windsor.com/index.htm<BR>http://www.windsor.gov.uk/<BR>http://www.photoguide.to/windsor/<BR><BR>This is how to get to the airport from Windsor - The website ww.railtrack.com Click on the link below to search for your times Windsor to Heathrow.<BR>http://212.87.65.227/bin/newquery.exe/en<BR>It is about an hour journey.<BR>Hope this gives you some ideas and helps in your decision. You won't be disappointed its a beautiful place,

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
Maurice

The Motorways have stolen a nifty idea from the American Interstates. Many of the rest stops have simple, cheap modern motels; 2 years ago, they were 39.95L a night. They have an 800-type reservation number. If you're motoring around the countryside and want to get to Heathrow early, there's one on the motorway about 60 miles east. You can do whatever you want in the countryside, then drive to your motel at 11PM. (If you trust leaving the luggage in the car). <BR>Depends what you're into... there's the castles and small villages (Leeds castle, or Bodiam, for example), Stonehenge, where the druids lived - and they did live well...

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:48 PM
Len

Thanks guys. I guess Windsor seems like the best place to stay for the last day. Is the town a nice town? Old, hitorical? or has it become too modern? Any hotel recommendations in Windsor?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:00 PM
xxx

We visited Windsor for a half day-a tour. There are many souvenir shops and restaurants across from Windsor Castle. We didn't really see much more of the town than that. I guess there may be much more to see than souvenir shops but it doesn't appear to be a big place. It's scenic because the Thames runs through it.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Paula

We stayed in Windsor the night before leaving from Heathrow. It is interesting to visit the castle and walk across the bridge to Eton. Do not stay at Sir Christopher Wrens House. It is very ancient and very over priced. We had a lovely dinner at the House on the Bridge with a view over the river and the castle. We had Rays Limo service pick us up and take us to Heathrow in the morning. It cost 40 pounds -- a taxi might be cheaper.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Carol

Len Several years ago we stayed at the Castle Hotel which is just across the road from the Castle. It was very nice and the bus to Heathrow leaves from in front of the hotel. Very convenient. While in Windsor, we walked down to Eaton College and had a look around. I think it is a great place to spend your last night before Heathrow, Have a great trip, Carol

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Len

Carol can you tell me more about the Castle Hotel? When you say 'nice' does that mean just average or was a it a place you would definitley return to? Thanks for the advice.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:47 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>An oddball idea ?<BR><BR>Why not stay in Marlow by the river and relive &quot;three men in a boat&quot; ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>tlp.netfirms.com<BR>