Laptop rental in PARIS????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has ever rented a laptop while visiting Paris? Our apartment has ADSL and rather than carry my own, I'd like to see how much it costs to rent one. I found lots of online companies that will ship them to you, but I'd just as well pick one up near the apartment if possible. We're staying on Ile. St. Louis.

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM

IMHO never a good deal...

http://www.eurolocation.fr/gb/htm/ma...pcportable.asp
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you asked the same thing about Barcelona. Seems a silly idea to me. Either take your own, rent a flat that provides one, or use one of the MANY internet cafes in both cities (this would be my choice if the flat didn't have a computer)
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I know, I know, it would be a great idea to take my own. I did this last year and my husband was not happy at all about it. We like to travel with one pilot case each (tiny carry on size) and that's it, he's rather fanatical about it, in an endearing way of course We've been overseas a dozen times, sometimes as long as 7 weeks and we never check our bags, it's just a thing with us. I think he got so turned off because we were flying in the UK where they only allow 1 carry on and that's it. I had a carry on and a paper bag with a croissant in it and they told me at security either check my bag, eat the croissant, or put the croissant inside my carry on because it counted as an additonal bag!!! With the laptop they made us check our bags and he was really upset about it, I don't blame him since we go through such a huge effort to travel uber-light. I should have done my homework and seen that the laptop was going to be an issue. It's not a big deal to me as I have one of those ultraportables it's only 4lbs. Normally I would use the internet cafes, but I tend to write about 4-10 pages per day and it gets too expensive and takes up too much precious vacation time. I perfer to sit in bed or in front of the tube late at night and type away. I also like to sort my photos as I go along which is too hard to do at an internet cafe, again too time consuming and costly. If I see that the price is outrageous I may be able to convince DH to let me take it! Geeee what a long winded answer, eh?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Most major UK airports allow 2 carry on bags as of 1/7. I believe Gatwick is still under review.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yep, we flew in and out of Gatwick and it was 1 bag, do or die, it was a real pleasure, LOL! I know that those croissants do pose quite a security risk, with their buttery wiles and all! Of course, in the end, we all understand why they are doing it and appreciate the extra security even if it is aggravating at times!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM

How good are you with a European keyboard?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

I'm fast on an Italian keyboard, but I never thought about French or Spanish, yikes! I'm guessing they are all different?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM

good reading

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7174012.stm
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I have two alternatives to suggest, both inviting you to think again about how you approach things.

First, reconsider your carry-on-only policy. I'm not sure it is worth the trouble if it means doing without things that you would prefer to have with you. Herself and I usually check a bag for a weekend away. It allows us bring all sorts of things that would be a security headache in carry-ons.

Second, reconsider your writing routine. Use old technology, pen and paper.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Ooooooh, I can't even think about checking the bags. I didn't rest for a minute last fall when they made me check my bag. I had two really bad experiences that near ruined two vacations in which the airlines lost my bags, and they didn't show up until 5 days into the trip. One of them was my honeymoon!!!!!! Prior to the carry on debacle last year, I hadn't checked my bags in 14 years! I'm just an old bird set in my ways. Sadly, I can't write on paper for more than 2 minutes, I have a permanent shoulder injury that prevents it, but somehow typing I can do ok. I kind of already came up with an alternate plan, I'm going to buy a sleeve for the laptop and stick it inside the carry on, I'll just bring a few less things.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM

I'm somewhat confused....

You said "pilot type case" why?

you are allowed 21" carry on. It holds much more than a "pilot type case", unless I misunderstood what that means....

you can have 2 carry ons unless checking in at LGW. South Terminal will allow 2 carry ons for connecting passengers.

so, what is it that prohibits you from getting a bigger carry on or using 2 carry ons.

read the bbc.com article I linked above.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM

You'll also have to think about charging the batteries. I presume you know about that as you have already brought the computer to the UK.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the pilot case is just a tad smaller than the 21". Actually I just found out that Air France allows us one carry on, one laptop or purse, and one additional small item. So that's a total of 3 carry on items. I think this self imposed restriction of baggage comes from numerous occassions where we had to run for the train or tear through the airport because our plane was minutes from leaving and the less baggage you have the better! It's irrational and totally self imposed, I know it's crazy, I just can't stand traveling with a lot of stuff even the two bags is borderline. Also DH will be annoyed that I brought an extra bag since he thinks its uneccessary, he's a minimalist traveler to an extreme. So since we wont be going to the UK at all, I'm guessing I'll just take the laptop since we're allowed 3 bags on AF. My other thought was to get one of those rolling laptop cases and just put my clothes in there. Thanks for the article and the advice.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM

It might help to know what you plan to use the laptop for. If you're doing heavy editing or things that require a large screen, there's not much choice.

But if you just want to jot down occasional trip notes or send and receive email, then a Pocket PC or Blackberry might be a good option for you.

I have carried a PPC since 2003, and never regretted it. Mine has a quad-band (Europe/US) GSM phone, GPRS/EDGE internet, GPS, and WiFi, but you don't really need all of that, as long as you can jack into a public network here and there to upload and download. The software on mine synchronizes effortlessly with Microsoft desktop applications such as Word, Excel, and Outlook, plus I have several thousand books, audio tracks, guides, and maps on it.

You can get a fold-up keyboard that makes using it almost like a desktop PC. Go to Amazon.com and search for <b>foldable keyboard</b>.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Buy a Asus mini-laptop for $300-$400, and just get rid of it later, about the same cost as a rental.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have also done that, I've used a palm pilot with a fold up keyboard it was great for writing, but I would love to do the photos as well. I may very well reconsider that however.

What is the ASUS mini computer? Is it $300-400 resale or cost? I do computer resale, maybe I could order it from one of our vendors if I had more info? I'd love to hear about it, the price is right!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I just looked up the Asus EEE, I'm completely disturbed now. I spent $1100 on a 12&quot; toshiba specifically for portability and now this thing is only $350 and it's 7&quot;?????????? I could just keel over with dismay! AND it's xp compatible? I hope hubby never hears about this one or I will never hear the end of it. I begged for this 12&quot; because it would be so convenient, I could the 7&quot; in my freaking pocket! AAAAARRRRGGHGHHHH, how could not have know about this! Ok, well thanks anyway, now I'll just lament over my toshiba for the next 10 years, LOL. Hindsight's 20/20! Isn't that just like technology????
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Way too many potential issues in a short-term rented laptop. Who knows what you would leave on there that a later renter could use to your detriment.

If you need to use it a lot bring yours along.

If it's just the occasional email use an internet cafe.