Languedoc region

Search

Languedoc region

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Languedoc region

Does anyone have suggestions for great things to do in Languedoc region? We are staying one week in Olonzac, about 30 minutes from Carcassonne. Also, is Spain "do-able" for a day trip?

Merci!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Visit Montpelier, you will never forget it.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Spain is certainly a possibility from Olonzac - but you'll find plenty enough to keep you busy for a week without going that far.

We've spent a couple of months vacationing in the Languedoc/Roussillon region in the last few years. I developed a 30+ page itinerary the describes our favorite villages, scenic drives, markets, sites, restaurants, etc. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Here is an itinerary I put together for some friends staying in that area next June. It's pretty full and reflects their major interest - Cathar and Da Vinci code sites - but you might get some good ideas from it.

Weds – Flight to Toulouse. Pick up cars, drive to Limoux for a late lunch, see Catharama, Notre-Dame de Marceille and visit winery (Blanquette de Limoux). On to Couiza. Dinner and night at Chateau des Ducs de Joyeuse: http://www.chateau-des-ducs.com/

Thu - Visit Rennes-le-Chateau, Cathar castles of Queribus and Peyrepertuse. Back to Chateau for dinner and night.

Fri – Morning visit of Montségur. Afternoon to la Grotte de Niaux. To La Bastide de Serou for dinner and night at the Chateau Rhodes. http://www.chateaurhodes.com

Sat - Morning visit to underground river of Labouiche and Foix. Afternoon in Mirepoix. Dinner and night at the Chateau.

Sun – Drive to Minerve, Les Aliberts (gite they are renting for 6 nights, very near Olonzac). Relax, unpack. Afternoon:
Visit to Minerve. Dinner at Les Aliberts.

Mon - Boat ride on the Canal du Midi from Homps, lunch and afternoon in Carcassonne. Dinner in Carcassonne at one of the restaurants of the Hotel de la Cité.

Tues – Morning market at Beziers, then on to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer and the Camargue. On the way home stop at Villeneuve-lès-Maguelone to see cathedral. Dinner at Les Aliberts.

Wed, June 28 – Drive down coast to Collioure. Dinner at “Le Moulin de Trebes” near Carcassonne.

Thu – Day trip to Albi, stopping at Mazamet to see Cathar museum. Dinner at Les Aliberts.

Fri – Rest and/or catch-up day. If time and energy permit, you could visit Narbonne, Fontfroide Abbey. Dinner at Chateau Saint Martin near Carcassonne.

Sat – Return to Toulouse for flight back to Paris.

I think a day-trip to Spain would be pushing it.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM

>>I think a day-trip to Spain would be pushing it.<<

Actually, Girona is about the same time from Olonzac as is Stes Maries, assuming there is not a big delay at the border.

Also, I would not recommend driving down to Collioure - I would go to Colloiure and driving south a bit from there. The coast from Perpignan to Collioure didn't do anything for me - a little too "built up" for my tastes.

Don't miss the Cathars stuff.

Also, Forte de Salses just north of Montpellier is interesting if you like Vauban type forts.

Stu Dudley

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I should probably have put that another way. You could, of course, get into Spain and return on the same day. I just don't think you would have enough time there to make the trip worthwhile. (I would certainly bow to the greater experience of Stu, however.)

The day-trip to Stes-Maries is for a particular purpose: to see the statue of Sarah in the church and to take a ride through La Camargue; probably won't take more than a couple of hours. Personally, I wouldn't do it but this group really wanted to see these two things.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Hi

just out of interest .....

I do a regular trip with visitors :

home (near Nimes)
Perpignan (by autoroute)
Coast Rd to Spain
Port Legat (Dali house)
Cadaques
Empuria Brava remains (optional)
Roses (Lunch)
Figueres (Dali museum & shopping)
home (by autoroute)

It is a full day, but manageable.

BTW : I have a photo of sarah here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...-photo-210.htm

Peter