Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Landing in Athens: Day Trip to Acropolis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a window of 12 hours in transit at Athens. (Landing at 7:45am, departing at 8:05pm the same day)

Contemplating an excursion to Acropolis. Is it feasible? Is it just a subway ride away?

I'll pack light and put the rest of the luggage in airport storage.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Yes, it is doable. I think a taxi ride is about 45 minutes and is about 35 euros. The airport is WAY OUT.

It doesn't take that long to walk around the Acropolis. Prolly an hour.

You can have lunch in the Plaka.

Thingorjus
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM

That's more than enough time to store your luggage at the airport if necessary and catch the Metro, a taxi or the airport express bus into Central Athens. If perchance the Metro is not operating you can alternatively take the Suburban Railway into Athens to the Neratziotissa Station then transfer to the Green Line to Monastiraki, which is at the edge of the Plaka and below the Acropolis/Parthenon. The bus back to the airport takes about 1.25 hours and leaves Syntagma Square every half hour.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM

>>Is it feasible?<<

I would say it is <i>essential</i>.

Although a very nice airport, I wouldn't want to spend 12 hours there. Your layover is at a perfect time for a day trip into Athens as well.

If your luggage isn't checked through to the next destination, you can leave it at Pacific Travel in the corridor outside Arrivals.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM

I need a recomendation. We arrive in to the port in Athens on our cruise. There is of course travel supplied at a fee by the cruise.
I know it takes about 25 min or so to get to the Acropolis. Do you suggest doing it through the ship...or is there ample transportation that we could just do on our own? Then from the Acroplois how far is the Plaka? Trying to decide what is safest and easiest!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM

From the Cruise Ship docks you'd have to walk about 1/3 mile to the Port Metro Station unless there's some sort of shuttle bus, but once you're there you can take the Green Line to the Monastiraki Metro Station in about 15 minutes, which is right at the edge of the Plaka, with the Acropolis right above it. Just follow the signs. You could also take a taxi from the port to the entrance of the Acropolis/Parthenon. Be sure to set the price first or make sure the meter is running.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM

yep go to the plaka for sure
the greeks really know how to feed you so dont order up big...a plate of food can easily be shared