Lander Ticket Border Cities

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lander Ticket Border Cities

Can anyone tell me where I can find a listing of the included adjacent border cities for each German lander ticket.

Example... I know you can use a Bayern Ticket to go to Salzburg(Austria) or Ulm (Baden-Wurrtemburg) using a Bayern Ticket.

I would like to know which cities are included for each lander. I have checked the DB site and it does not list the specific cities. Thnaks.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM

>I would like to know which cities are included for each lander. I have checked the DB site and it does not list the specific cities. Thnaks.

I don't think a comprehensive list of such cities exists or even makes sense to produce. Instead, I suggest you go to the Länder-Tickets website on DB and load the schematic map of train lines they usually mark the lines and stations within the Land where the respective ticket is valid in bolder lines than these beyond the validity area.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Altamiro,

I don't see anything on any DB site maps that helps. Can you enlighten me?

Maybe LarryinColorado can help. He is certainly the most knowledgable train guy on the site. Larry, you out there?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM

I could only find an overview in german:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/preise/reg...rtickets.shtml

on the right there links to the Länder-tickets websites. Couldn't find an english equivalent though
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Just found this posting. No, I don't think there is any comprehensive listing of Länder ticket border towns. In fact, except for selling Länder tickets online, the bahn basically ignores them; you have to get to the individual Länder websites, if they even have them. If you input to Bahn.de's query page a trip for which Länder tickets will save you money, they will not suggest it.

I have started to compile info on German Rail tickets, Länder tickets, and Verkehrsverbünde fare info on a website called www.geocities.com/reise_deutschland, but it is nowhere near complete. In fact, the recent change in prices by DB and the Länder has gotten me behind. I do have links to some of the maps of areas of validity for some of the tickets.

I can tell you that, for instance, a Bayern Ticket is valid to/from Ulm, Salzburg, and Kufstein (on the way to Innsbruck), for the Asserfernbahn from GaP to Reutte im Tirol and on to Pfronten and Kepmpten. It is also valid for a stretch through Baden-Württemburg from Memmingen to Lindau via Kißlegg.

The Drie-Löwen Ticket (Baden-Württemberg) is valid into Lindau and Nördlingen, up the left bank of the Rhine from Karlsruhe to Mannheim, to Schafhausen (CH) I think (I am doing this off the top of my head). It might also be valid as far as Worms in Rheinland-Pfalz.

A Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket is valid to Bonn, Mannheim Hbf, Karlsruhe Hbf, and on the right bank of the Rhein from Karlsruhe to Mannheim. I think it is also valid in Wiesbaden.

Is there a specific area in which you are interested?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Larry,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me first explain that the reason I am asking for this detail is because I am a big fan of German rail travel, and have a keen interest in learning as many of the money saving and useful angles as I can.

Connecting lander tickets as you pass through the various landers can be both economical, and worthwile depending on your time, and objectives.
You have to know the connection cities to plan.

I try and get to Germany every year, and always use the train. Like any other aspect of travel, knowing how the system works can save a lot of money, and time.

IC and ICE trains are great to get from point a to point b. But, many times I find myself hopping on and off the train to see some unique thing in a town, as I slowly make my way to my next major destination. The lander tickets are great for this type of travel.

About three years ago I found a text document on the web that listed what I want to know. Unfortunately, I can not find it now. It would be easy to figure it out when there I guess. Just trying to gather more planning info.

By the way, your website is a neat idea. I look forward to seeing it develop. Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Altamiro & others. The English version of the site about Länder tickets is:

http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVORN:eNNION..._tickets.shtml

It does not seem to have the same level of detail (links) as the Deutsch version. It does not appear to answer iwannagonow's most interesting question.

Regards, Gary
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM

>>It does not seem to have the same level of detail as the Deutsch version.

This feature (more information available in German) is generally true of the Bahn website. For instance, through the end of February, DB is running a promotion called (Winter-Spezial). For as low as €29, you can travel one way from anywhere in Germany to anywhere else. It requires a 3 day advance purchase and the number of tickets at that price is limited. When tickets at €29 are gone, there are tickets for €39, €49, & €59. You might inadvertently stumble across the savings price using the query page, but without reading about the offer on the German language side of bahn.de, you would not know that for €5 extra, you can buy the ticket at a ticket counter.

Seems to me to be a good reason to start learning German.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM

A few maps can be found here:
http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVORN:eSrzSt...ten_nahv.shtml
The tickets being valid in other Ländern at border stations are rare exceptions.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM

The following websites have links to maps of the area of validity, showing "border towns" for their specific Land.

www.bayern-takt.de
www.3-loewen.de (Baden-Württemburg)
www.der-takt.de (Rheinland-Pfalz)
www.nahverkehr.nrw.de (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. I think the only way to really know the answer is to go and find out. That probably is a good thing anyway.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Basically as you mentioned there are Ulm, Salzburg and Kufstein. Plus the "Schönes Wochenende" is good for travels as far as Pilsen. And there always is the possibility to buy the ticket a the station right before the border, or just buy them in advance on the internet from home.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:01 AM

BTW, Logos, the link you gave us to the Laender Streckenkarten was great. Unfortunately they show lines going out of the Laender beyond the areas of validity, so they are not good by themselves for determining "border" stations, but they are great, nevertheless, for showing connections.

Where did you find that page? Even knowing where it is, I cannot find links to it starting with the home page, and it does not show up on the sitemap.

When I started setting up my website, Hessen had a website, www.dashessenticket.de, which showed the limits of validity of the Hessen Ticket. That has been removed, and that website now has only links to the three Verkehrverbünde in Hessen. Sigh!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Finally Larry i got your geo cities web site - should have asked you about it before - in old posts you say you were doing something on it. A valuable source to check out and refer. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM

The Bahn.de site is a mess, you won't find the link. I googled for "Streckenkarten Bahn" and they showed up right on top. You'll find the "border stations" being the last station inside the coloured (mostly blue) area which is the Bundesland. You can always buy the ticket for the next Land at that station but stations that are included on both tickets (like Ulm) are rare.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM

That must have been my mistake. I tried searching for "Streckenkarten Laender".

I think, like many complex websites, the Bahn has many disconnected pages because they used to be linked, then someone blindly changed the page that had the link on it.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM

You could have tried "Streckenkarten Bundesländer" too. No German would search for "Länder", he would always use "Bundesländer", just because Länder means countries in German and your're not looking for maps of some (maybe foreign) countries but for "federal countries (=states)". Difficult, isn't it