Lake Region Northern Italy

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Region Northern Italy

Hello fodorites...my husband and I are thinking of going to the Lake region in september/early October. We were supposed to be in Provence as I type but my dad passed away and so naturally all things changed. We have been under a lot of stress for the last year or so and we do plan to redo our Provence trip next June but in the meantime would like to get away. We have both been to quite a few areas in Italy and we were thinking of this area now, somwhere near Switzerland? First question is the weather late September early October. Anyone know??? I have no clue about this area but I have heard that it is quite beautiful. I would like to know how much time we need, where is best to stay, whatever you can offer would be much appreciated. We don't want to come back exhausted if that is at all possible.

Thanks for any and all help. Off topic a bit, but does anyone have an opinion on Bologna and was it damaged in the recent earthquake. That is another place we were thinking of. Also, we are not interested in anything too fancy in terms of lodging...authenticity and local feel is always preferred and we are not looking to break the bank either...although I realize that is relative.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Here are our pics from Lago Como and Lugano in 2009 in late Sep and early Oct--it was quite nice.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4442

The Italy lakes are really 5 major lakes in 3 geographic areas to me. We have done them all multiple times. Given 2 weeks, I would stay in 3 locations, but you need to do some reading and narrow your focus.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We would like to also be near Lake Lugano which I believe is on the Switzerland side but I have not done much research yet. I will have just short of 2 weeks...maybe about 11 full days...too much in that time?
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Spent 3 nights at Hotel Pironi in Cannobio, Italy on Lake Maggiore last October. It was delightful and enjoyable. Much to do as it is close to Locarno, Switz. Weather was wonderful. I highly recommend the hotel as well as Cannobio for a relaxing vacation.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Terrific! Thank you.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Huggy...did you go to other areas after the three nights?? do you think I could stay in Hotel Pironi for more than three nights or would you suggest we move to another loction. The price and style of the hotel is right up our alley.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:05 AM

This is one of my favorite hotels in the world and is halfway between Lugano and Lago Como on the north shore of Lago Lugano. We have stayed here twice, 25 years apart.
You ca
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Sorry, big thumb!
You can see some pics from there above. You could easily spend half your time here and still have time for another destination at either Lago Maggiore or Lago Garda, near Verona.

http://www.stelladitalia.com/htm_us/fr1_hotel.htm
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

bobthenavigator...this looks gorgeous...thank you so much! We would be flying in and out of Milan...does that make sense? I know nothing about this area of Italy.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Last October, I used Cannobio as a stopping point on my way to the Piedmont after flying into Zurich. Cannobio has a wonderful lakefront promenade with several restaurants. You could certainly move on after any period of time.

Being so close to Locarno, we boated up the lake and spent a day on the Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola, Italy and back, a great scenic rail trip. This location was certainly more economical than staying in Switzerland while still having great access to Switzerland.

You will need a car to reach Cannobio easily from Milan or Zurich. Since you have a car, I found a great book detailing various scenic drives in Italy. It is "Back Roads Italy" by Eyewitness Travel. One of the drives details a trip around the Italian northern lakes.

While I have visited the lake area several times staying in Como, Varenna, Bellagio, Stresa, Desenzano and Lugano, I found Lake Maggiore to be less hectic and crowded than Lake Como and a bit easier to drive, with less traffic.

Whatever you decide, any of your choices will be wonderful and you will have a wonderful holiday. That area is one of my favorite destinations in western Europe.

Have a great vacation, eat wonderful food, use your camera often and relax.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Again...I thank you all!
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Yes, both Stresa or Lugano are easy drives from MXP. Use Google Maps to run the routing. In Stresa look at this lovely hotel: http://www.lalunanelporto.it/
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Okay...I just booked my tickets...we have a full 12 days not counting travel days....what makes most sense...splitting or time at Hotel Pironi in Cannobio, Italy for one portion stella d'italia for antoher portion and la luna for yet another or just a combination of the two...does that make sense logistically and which is closer to the airport? Normally i would take the time to research this but I feel like i'm doing this last minute (for me this is very last minute as I am a planner)and I'm worried I won't get the rooms. Thank you!

thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I think logistically, Stresa is closest to MXP. If you do that first, follow up with Cannobio and then Lugano. I think the combination of all 3 but you will not be disappointed with 2. Since Stresa and Cannobio are on the same lake, choose one. Driving Stresa to Cannobio is only 37 km. I found Cannobio to be a bit quieter though but either is wonderful.

If you have more time, head over to Lake Garda as Bob said. I had the best lasagna there in 1985. However, there is plenty to do on any of the lakes.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Start in Stresa---an hour from MXP.
Be sure to see Lago Orta as a day trip from Stresa---drive via Gignese.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Okay...Stresa (at la luna), the Cannobio (Hotel Pironi) and then Lugano (Stella d'Italia) about 3 or so nights in each. Oh boy...thanks you so much.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Sneak preview:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4173
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM

If you have 9 nites I would give it 3-2-4 since Lago Como has much to see and is :30 from the hotel.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel are you referring to that is 30 min from lake como? So sorry to keep asking so many questions
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Stella d' Italia
Did you look at the web site?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -