Lake Maggiore Base

Search

Lake Maggiore Base

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Maggiore Base

I'm considering extending my trip this summer and going solo to Lake Maggiore. If I do this, what would be a good base for a solo traveler. I would need to have the whole lake accessible from wherever I am. I love hiking and nature and would want at least a few shops and cafes nearby. Old churches are a plus. A good vibe for a solo traveler would be nice, if such a thing exists. (Or should I forget this part of the world as too romantic for solo travel?) Considering Locarno, Ascona, Cannobio, Gerra-Gambarogno, and Stresa. Any recommendations?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM

I loved Stresa, but I wasn't there alone, so I can't anwer your main question. However, I can tell you that it has boat connections to other parts of the lake and you should know that it is not a little village. It's a good sized town with lots of facilities, but still a very pleasant place.

Here's a link to a Rick Steves article on Stresa...called ""stress free Stresa".

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...y/01stresa.htm
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locarno because
1) it's Switzerland, the land of punctuality and cleanliness
2) the valleys and lake are very accessible from Locarno via trains, buses and boats
3) the Locarno hostel is very clean and highly recommended for budget travelers.

When in Locarno, do see:
Val Verzasca, Ascona and Bosco Gurin and Brissago Island. At the end of Val Verzasca, lies a town called Sonogno. My Canadian girlfriend manages the sport bar and loves meeting English speaking tourists.

On Sunday mornings, there is a nice market in Cannobio, which is best visited from Locarno using the boat.

I've never been to Stresa. (too much around Locarno to see and do)
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM

P.S. The Sonogno sport bar is not really a bar but a restaurant next to the ice rink.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM

What an utter prat Rick Steves is.

"The third island, Isola Madre, consists almost solely of its sightquot;

and "From here, you can get an incredible view of the islands floating in the lake below" pshaw!

also "For a different look at the islands, catch a mountain cable-car in Stresa for a 20-minute ride to top of Mount Mottarone summit (about 5,000 feet"

It doesn't take you to the summit, but below it. You have to use those things that stop your legs from fraying at the ends to get to the summit.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Come now, Josser, tell us what you really think of Rick Steves;-)

You are right enough, you do have a bit of a walk to the summit of Mottarone.
One time Canon Chasuble and I took the cable car up the mountain, got to the summit and walked back to Stresa.
The track down is quite wide and passes through one or two nice little villages.
I think that Stresa would be a very good base.

If anyone is interested, there are pictures from our last visit at
http://sylvia.photoblog.me.uk/c1085497.html
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:26 AM

We loved Baveno, because it is very close to the Borromeic Islands (with frequent boats) and has a small-town feeling.

We stayed at a very nice 3-star-hotel with private beach and an unusual quiet location (no big road in front of the hotel).
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Another vote for Locarno. Have been there and found it to be an excellent base for excursions. It's a very interesting town with charm, too. And also lively - love the Piazza Grande!

(Hi schuler!)
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies.

"the Locarno hostel is very clean and highly recommended for budget travelers."

Gosh schuler, how do you know money is no object?

Actually, you're right. I am a budget-minded traveler. Can you give me the name of the hostel? Do you know the Kon Tiki b & b in Locarno? If so, would you recommend it?

Anyone know this wonderful looking hotel? www.hotelcannero.com It's in Cannero Riviera. Perhaps it's too isolated?

And Miss Prism, I'm hoping they don't speak too much German in the Ticino as I know I look quite plain after my German lesson!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ingo! You may remember me as Guy18. I want to return to this region that you've helped me with before and maybe include Soglio in my itinerary. I assume there is easy transportation from Locarno to Soglio?
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 04:13 AM

I've heard of Kon Tiki B&B and I'm sure some fodorites have stayed there. Hopefully someone else will reply on this. I believe Kon Tiki is more central than the Locarno hostel.

Locarno Hostel: Three families stayed there last year for a whole week (we stayed at the Hapimag resort in Ascona: for members only). They said you can't beat it's value and it's quiet at night too. Breakfast was fine. Guests were of all ages with many seniors as well.

Visit this link for all youth hostels (although not for youth only) in Switzerland.

http://www.youthhostel.ch/hostels.html?&L=1

Hi Ingo! We had a great pizza at a good price at the Piazza Grande last year. It was at the southern end of the piazza but I don't remember its name.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Cannero: We've visited Cannero and even thought about staying there a week because of the Hapimag resort. It's a tiny and very quaint village that's quite isolated. Great for one or two nights but that's it. If I were to depend on public transportation, I wouldn't make it a base.

As for Locarno - Soglio, I plugged in the destinations at SBB.ch and came up with 3 hours for a one-way journey from LUGANO during the summer months. Locarno-Lugano is about 52 min.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Apparently, Iberia has sold all of their cheap seats in June, so postponing my departure will cost too much. Any other ideas would be welcome, since there's always next summer.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Cimbrone
I don't know your budget at all, but I would also highly recommend Locarno as your base. I've stayed many times at La Palma Au Lac. It's a great hotel right along the lakeside, with the train station just out the back door, and lots of shops and restaurants nearby. The boat dock is also very close. I think they have a web site, and you can probably do a google search for it.

Locarno is the place I would "...buy a house when I win the lottery..." Have spent many a day/night there. I agree that the Piazza Grande is lively and interesting... and also a short walk from La Palma.

Carol