Lake Konstanz/Munich trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started this trip planning with a desk full of books and an ear full of do's and must do's. At the beginning of this planning process I'll admit that I was so overwhelmed I felt like a crackhead looking for a recycling depot with a pocket full o' cans. But the good (and harshly blunt) folks here and fodor helped me see through the haze...and I truly thank each and everyone of you for helping me with my focus. Last question (roll up your boots cause you know thats not true). The last part of our honeymoon we are spending 3 nights in Meersburg and 2 nights in Munich. I was wondering if it we get into meersburg around noon, we could check in, take a nap and then see the town of meersburg. wake up the next morning and travel (we'll have a car) around the lake. I was just wondering, for those who have been in the area, if that would be enough time to enjoy Lake Konstanz, or would you stay the 3rd night and take the trip around the lake a little slower. If we only spend 2 nights there i was going to take her to neuschwanstein, zugspitze and then arrive in munich late afternoon. we could then spend 2.5 days in munich. the reason i was thinking of an xtra day in munich is to spend alot of time in the english garden. didn't see it last time i was there and she loves central park type things. dunno. whatcha think. thanks again for everything. you all are lifesavers
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM

I'll give you some general answers, and then you can decide yourself.

First of all, the southern shore of the lake is really not very interesting, except for Konstanz itself. So you need not drive "around the lake"

Places to see from Meersburg: Konstanz and the Insel Mainau. For both you take the car ferry from Meersburg, although you can do it also without a car and rely on public transport. The ferry wait on the Konstanz side can be a bit long at times. But be sure to visit the Mainau, it is one big garden, with a nice littel palace and church. Allow at least 3 hours R/T from Meersburg.

To tour the town of Meesburg and the castle as well as the little palace on the town square takes you no more than half a day.

To drive from M. to Fuessen take about 3 hours, that is without stopping in Lindau, which is worth a couple of hours (lunch maybe at the harbor?).

If you haven't decided yet on a route from M. or L. to Fuessen, let me know.

"Doing" Neuschwanstein, Zuspitze and then driving to Munich can be done, but it would be rushing it.

Unless you are satisfied to look at Neuschwanstein just from the outside (which I would recommend, the interior of the Meersburg castle is more interesting in my opinion), you would have to allow at least a couple of hours for N. The drive to Garmisch and the Zugspitz Bahn station from Fuessen takes you almost 2 hours. To take the cog railway to the top and back takes at least 3 hours. From Garmisch to the fringes of Munich takes you about 1 1/2 hours.

One option: On your way from Fuessen to Garmisch you will be going through Leermoos. There is a cable car to the top of the Austrian part of the Zugspitze. That should be faster round trip than the cog railway from Garmisch.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM

Goodness treplow laid this out well.

I agree with his comments - but it comes down to how you want to spend your time.

You can "see" Meersburg in a day, absolutely
but do you want to experience it?

Mainau and Konstanz take up pretty much a day together, too, but an easy one and well worth it. It is not practical nor rewarding as a tour to consider going around the whole lake, like treplow said.

Lindau is worth a brief stop, lunch would be perfect, and then Neuschwanstein could be hit on the way to Munich - better make it an early lunch in Lindau.

Tossing in the Zugsptize on the same day would be tight, - essentially impossible, I think.

The Englischer Garten is beautiful, and if you want to lie around in it all day then you should (okay there's a beer garden too).

I'm pretty much saying everything treplow - did. See how those ideas fit into your desires and enjoy this time - it sounds like a great end to your honeymoon.

By the way, are you going to spend some time on the Mosel?

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

this sounds like a great plan. i was thinkin (after looking at The Green Guide) of hitting meersburg and relaxing for the first day. Then wakin up early and hitting Mainau (green guide says boat starts at 7am) then wander to Linadau for the rest of the day. not sure if there is a boat from mainau to lindau though. i was unaware of a cable car for the austrian zugspitze!! that would be great. plus i agree with your rec. of just seeing outside of neuschwanstein. haven't planned a route yet. you said you had some advice. love to hear it. also what town is the austrian cable car in. don't mean to be lazy just don't have any books on that yet. thanks for takin the time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

not the mosul. we're starting by flying into frankfurt and spending 2 nights in assmannshausen (just north of rudeshime and i'm told not as touristy). then 3 nights in heidelburg, 2 nights in colmar france, looks like 2 nights in meersburg, and 3 nights in munich.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM

I am going to mention some things missed by others.

Stein am Rhein (in Switzerland) on the southern side of the Lake is interesting. It has a lot of brightly painted buildings. This is a small town that is good for a couple of hours. There are plenty of shops and restaurants, etc.

Lindau has an interesting Marionnettentheater. They do operas with marionnettes. Take in a performance if you can. It is fascinating. The theater is in the old city. You cannot miss it.

If you are going in summer, the traffic on the northern side of the lake is terrible. Allow plenty of time.

Friedrichshafen has a museum devoted to the zepplin. It is worth a couple of hours and I found it fascinating--really a world class museum. There is an area where you can see what it was like to travel in one of those--much more comfortable than "steerage" on today's planes.

Konstanz has concerts in its biergarten in summer. It's huge and you cannot miss it. Lots of fun!

Parking is difficult all over the lake in summer.

In Fuessen, I recommend that you see the "Ludwig II" musical. They put it on twice a day, I believe, in season and once per day during the shoulder season; in winter it may just be occasionally. Check. It is fantastic and was one of the highlights of my recent trip. You do not have to know German to know what is going on. You get a handout which summarizes it in English. I do not speak much German except for things like "Where are the toilets?, etc." and had no trouble following it. The staging is spectacular.

Neuschwanstein is a lot nicer from the outside than inside. Linderhoff is much more interesting but Neuschwanstein is on everyone's list because it was the model for Cinderella's castle in Disney. I have not been to the castle in Meersburg and cannot comment on that.

Do take a boat on the lake. You can even put your car on some car ferries (not a bad idea to avoid swearing as you crawl in summer traffic).

There is a huge waterfall in Schaffhausen (Das Reinfells). By Niagara standards, it is not much, but it is still pretty and a nice outing; you can take a boat up close if you like.

I did a home exchange in the Black Forest town of St. Georgen and we spent a lot of time by Lake Constance. Then, in 2004, I did a swap in Bavaria and visited Lindau and Friederichshafen, so I have been to the area twice.

You could easily spend 10 days in the region and not get bored.

The Tyrol region in Austria is gorgeous for driving around, as is the German area in Bavaria that abuts it. In Imst (Austria) you even can go whitewater rafting on the Imster Schluct if you are interested in that.

I will be home exchanging in Austria this summer and will not get to Lake Constance this year, but perhaps I will get to Salzburg. Who knows?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Lindau is worth a visit, as is Stein am Rhein. Biking between some of the small towns on the north shore is fun, although I did not see what month you'll be there, so weather/temperature might be an issue. Last May I biked around the lake in 4 days, including an out-and-back trip to Stein am Rhein from Konstanz. There are bicycle rentals in most towns. Weather was mostly good.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Trav:

You've done what I'd like to do. Did you use any handy websites to help you plan your intinerary?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Schuler: I had a big Bodensee Radweg map which I ordered from somewhere in the U.K. (I'm in the U.S.) I think I had "Googled" to find it. Then I used a website for the hotel info in all the towns. I'll have to look it up and get back. Should we start a new thread?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM

www.bodensee-radweg.de
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Please take time to enjoy Meersburg and Insel Mainau. We spent 3 days here and we were never bored.

Do you need a restaurant suggestion? I had an amazing meal here. I will post back with the name.

I have a great hotel suggestion too if you need one.

Don't fgorget to go the German "beaches" there!

Have fun!!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Travsolo2.

Thanks for the info! Starting a new thread about biking the Bodensee would be great. Perhaps you could give us a short trip report and useful links (like the one above) to begin with.

We are looking at a few days of biking the Bodensee in May this year. We're getting a bit Europa Park weary.