Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 week: munich-heidelberg-frankfurt-help fill in the itinerary

Jul 13th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

We (me, hubby and 17 yr old son) arrive into Munich and have five nights there then head towards Heidelberg (where my husband needs to stay for work meetings) but we have 2 days in between to fill up. Need suggestions:
Aug 17- arrive munich in the afternoon staying at le meridien.
18- City bike tour with Mikes
19-day trip to Dachau
20-day trip to Salzburg (is it beneficial to buy a Salzburg card for the day when we arrive?)
21-explore in munich
22-leave munich by rail or rental car (this is where we have leeway and need help with route planning) and head towards Obberamergau to ride the alpine coaster and then continue on to see Neuschwanstein castle (can these both be done in the same day?). Not sure where to stay that evening....
We are also interested in spending time by the water (kayaking, biking etc) and have been researching Lake Constance (Bodensee). Again where to stay? Does this route make sense?
Aug 23: arrive Heidelberg to stay for 3 nights
24/25-(explore where? is Stuttgart worth a visit?)
Aug 26-depart out of Frankfurt to go home

Thanks!
Jul 14th, 2019, 02:28 AM

Reading a post like yours basically confirms my decision not to answer anymore on boards like these. It's always the same cliches, the lack of research and the lack of curiosity that goes along with it.
We go to Germany? Let's do Nazis, Sound of Music and Neuschwanstein. We go to Europe where they have all the old stuff we don't have in America? Let's do kayaking and biking.
How exactly are the Alps or Lake Constance on the way from Munich to Heidelberg? And how exactly is Stuttgart a day trip from Heidelberg? Also why Stuttgart? Because it is the biggest dot on the map? Did you consult a guide book at all? Did you even stumble upon Speyer, Schwetzingen's palace garden, the Neckar valley and so on?
Jul 14th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I think your response is very snarky. I posted the thread because I obviously need some guidance on planning this week trip that has happened upon us quite suddenly. And I am not familiar with Germany no, but am researching. And we love kayaking and biking in any city that we visit whether it is our home city or another country. Sure my site choices might be "tourist traps" as you insinuate however they are also the highlights for first time travellers.

Remember the saying.....if you don't have anything nice to say....
Jul 14th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Nicole, you would get a far more thorough response if you provide a description of your research and at the very least, your interests.

Many people here will advise that Stuttgart is not worth a visit. However, that is not to say there isn't something there for YOU and your traveling mates.

There is plenty to see in the vicinity of Heidelberg, but that may or may not depend on your interests.

Your initial plan for Munich is do-able, albeit maybe a bit short on Munich itself (a city with so much to offer) but I understand you cannot add more time there considering the fixed requirement to be in Heidelberg for business purposes.

How will you be traveling may also impact the responses you receive. If you are reliant on public transport only, some of the countryside may be more difficult (but not impossible) to reach but your family may consider one-day rentals for that activity as well, again, depending on what you want to see and do.
Jul 14th, 2019, 10:12 AM

I am quite sure your contributions won't be missed, Lubitsch.

Last edited by Aramis; Jul 14th, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
Jul 14th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Tiny Hirschhorn near Heidelberg is on the Neckar River also. Worth a half-day, very picturesque. Michelstadt in the Odenwald. Speyer and Worms are not far away. Mannheim is a quirky city, built on a grid and each block has a letter of the alphabet rather than a name. I would skip Stuttgart unless you have a particular interest in cars (Porsche and Mercedes-Benz come from there), because it's, as Lubitsch says, a big dot on the map but is not pleasing as a city. Heidelberg itself has a lot to take your attention for at least 2 days (castle, zoo).

Lavandula
Jul 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM

This "If you don't have anything nice to say ..." saying is positively absurd even more so on such a forum. Not sure how criticism works in the USA ...

Anyway I am not insinuating that you are visiting tourist traps (would be a bit odd term for Dachau, wouldn't it?). You are visiting all the cliches you have in your mind of Germany courtesy of Hollywood and Disney. You may spend a week here but mentally you'll never leave the USA. Dachau is not a highlight and arguably not a tourist destination. Neuschwanstein is one of many historistic mock castles in Germany but even in the USA you could visit more or less Hearst castle instead. Germany has 46 UNESCO World heritage sights and you are carefully avoiding all of them.
One would think that the point of visiting another country would be to see its unique sights something like an old town, a monastery, a baroque palace or a castle which you are avoiding like the plague (apart from Salzburg). But then again Travel_Nerd already pointed out that you are pretty sketchy regarding your interests beyond biking and kayaking.

You have to decide if a) two days in Munich are enough and b) if you want to do an overnight somewhere before Heidelberg or go straight there. If Neuschwanstein is such a big lure you have pretty much answered these questions for yourself. And with a day for Heidelberg you have at best 1.5 days left there for which I gave you already some hints for places.