Search

Lake District GB with kids 2021-Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake District GB with kids 2021-Hotels

Hello
I have been a long time member of Fodors but I am now unable to log in. So I created a new account.
About us- two middle age people with a solemn teenager and a happy 7 year old in tow. I love to hike and walk and all things nature. We love good but inexpensive food (Michelin Star is not something we need with the kiddos). I like staying in places that have a lot of views and walks to offer. Water and rolling hills make me happy. I enjoy a lot of movement.
As you notice, this is a lot about me but its ok, I will lure the others into submission with cakes and back scratches.
Here is my question- What hotel would you recommend in the Lake District during the fall? We arrive in late October and will stay for 5 nights. We will take a train from London and pick up a car. I am not terribly afraid of driving.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Idea of price point? Will you arrive by train or car?
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry you lost your Fodors ID. Yes - price point and type of accommodations? Small B&B/guesthouse, larger hotel with services and activities, could you'd be interested in a rented cottage? Where were you going to collect the car?
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Idea of price point? Will you arrive by train or car?
We will arrive by train and plan to pick up a car near Kindale but this is flexible.
Price point is $400-$750 US dollars per night. We would like one room if possible. We are open to two rooms if necessary.
We have not really had experience with B&B’s, or country houses. WiFi is important to us.

Last edited by Boganvilla; Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 12:55 PM

" . . . and plan to pick up a car near Kindale"

I've never heard of Kindale. Could you possibly mean Kendal?? There are car hire firms in Kendal.

That is a huge price range (about £290 to £550) . You don't really need to spend that much unless you want quite posh. And even more so because late Oct is low season. I'd personally be hard pressed to spend £300

I've never stayed that in high end in the Lakes so I'll have to dig around to find some ideas -- I'm pretty sure even Sharrow Bay will be at or near the bottom of your budget and that is one of the more expensive properties I'm familiar with. There are a few other Fodorites who might have suggestions - hope they see your thread.

Last edited by janisj; Apr 25th, 2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes it must be Kendal. I think our budget is that wide because we may have one room or need two.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boganvilla
Yes it must be Kendal. I think our budget is that wide because we may have one room or need two.
Me personally, I'd look to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom cottage in the £150-£200 range or a skosh more and have tons more space than 2 hotel rooms. But that's just me. But later this evening I'll try to find some hotel suggestions to get you started.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

OK- husband has just shared with me that we must do 1 room not 2. Anyone stayed at Lakeside in Windermere?
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hol...w=LIST&sortBy=

Look at the National Trust rentals, I have been looking at Wales. I was watching an old show on a place Prince Charles renovated in Scotland and has vacation rentals. Very nice ones. Part of the National Trust. Does your 7 year old like Beatrix Potter? I saw a show last night where she had over 96 rats the first year at Hill Top. Hence the book Roly Poly Pudding about Samuel Whiskers. I am a huge fan.

I got locked out a month ago and it took me forever to get back in. It would not even let me use my password just send me to the front page. I tried three devices.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Macross, I looked at the site and unfortunately there was zero homes available during that time. I think I have narrowed it down to Mary Mount in Keswick and Macdonald in Bowness on Windermere. Anyone have any feedback on these two. I trust the opinions here since this group has been helping me since 2000.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 02:31 PM

OK- husband has just shared with me that we must do 1 room not 2. Anyone stayed at Lakeside in Windermere?
That may or may not be a problem. How old is your teenager? Some properties have a policy allowing up to 15 yo (sometimes 16 yo) in a 'family room' that sleeps four. The 7 yo is fine but if the teenager is say 17 or 18 you might be required to book two rooms (and yes - many properties do ask the ages of children). Quad rooms are rarer in the UK than in the States so a rented cottage, or a two bedroom suite or annex in a hotel might be easier to find.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:25 PM

Late October is half term for kids here.

if you can find something then book it , most of us still don’t know whether we will still be locked up then and Provence or the Costa deal Sol is still a distant memory. Booking are extremely busy this year due to staycations.,

Of the two hotels, both have got really good locations. The MacDonald is an unloved chain , Mary Mount is owned by a family we know they have 3 hotels. I spent my last night of freedom at one of their hotels 26 years ago, how’s that for a reference ! It’s perfect. It’s on the path around the Lake and there are boating activities round the corner. The lake motor launch (taxi) docks just down the road meaning that you can walk half the lake and motor launch the rest. The whole walk is around 13 miles.

I’d book it if you can.

I think they do family rooms , not sure.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've stayed in the MacDonald Old England in Bowness on a couple of occasions and been very happy with everything. It's really central in Bowness, surrounded by cafes, shops and restaurants and close to the terminal for the Lake boats. It backs on to the lake and if the weather's good, there's nothing nicer than a seat on the patio in the evening (or any other time) with a sundowner.

Across the road from the Old England is the Lake View guesthouse, a really lovely place to stay.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
MacDonald looks nice but I played with booking and children are only children to the age of 12.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. At this moment we are leaning towards Mary Mount. They seem to have a larger family room.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Thank you everyone. At this moment we are leaning towards Mary Mount. They seem to have a larger family room.

Maybe contact them? I've briefly looked at their website and I'm not sure your definition of 'family room' and theirs is the same. They state "Children sharing with 2 adults are £20.00 per night (12 years and under)." (emphasis mine)

They do have a larger cottage-type unit . . . "Please ask for prices of The Lodge a two bedroomed house with bathroom and lounge, . . ." Which would meet your needs and would probably still fit well within your budget.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 01:44 AM

There's also the Belsfield Hotel across from the Old England. We've stayed there several times and really enjoyed it.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rubicund
There's also the Belsfield Hotel across from the Old England. We've stayed there several times and really enjoyed it.
The Belsfield? Is that the Laura Ashley one?
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 02:26 AM

Yes it is. It's owned by Corus in a partnership with Laura Ashley. We've stayed there three or four times over the years and always enjoyed it, including the very good restaurant. The Laura Ashley thing is a little bit too chintzy for my taste but DW loves it.
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 07:40 AM

The Belsfield's site indicates children in family rooms are age 15 and under - if the teenage in younger than 16, their rates would be towards the bottom of your price range. No knowing your exact dates I just plugged in checking in 27 Oct and out 1 Nov and it says one family room is available @ £288 and £311 per night depending on whether you pre-pay non-refundable or not.

If you are leaning that way I'd book immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -