Lake Como vs Lake Maggiore

Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:12 AM
Joanne

Lake Como vs Lake Maggiore

Four of us (including two teenagers) will be traveling from Milan to the Lake Como area before we head further NE to Bormio. We help desperately! Which of the two areas Como or Maggiore is better to see? This will be the end of our two week travels and we want to relax but will also be at the end of our budget for this stay. Is there any place that has quad accommodations but does not require a week's stay? HELP

Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:52 AM
Joe

Both are beautiful and fun areas to visit. You cannot go wrong with either. If I had to make a choice, I would opt for Maggiore. Stresa is a charming, pretty, busy Lakeside City. Your teenagers will love it. Trips to the Islands off Stresa by ferry are fun. The activity at Stresa's water's edge is ongoing. Try the Hotel Luina; basic, but clean, good location, friendly staff and a good, reasonably priced Trattoria attached. Have a great time.

Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:13 AM
StCirq

I too would choose Stresa on Lake Maggiore. We stayed there in a spacious quadruple at the Hotel Italie et Suisse, opposite the boat landing, for around $100 a night. We chose a room on the back side of the hotel, and it was very quiet at night. Breakfasts were huge, and the hotel staff utterly delightful. From the boat landing you can ride to Isola Pescatore, Isola Bella, and Isola Madre, and to other lakeside towns, including Luina, where there is a large weekend outdoor market.Stresa has a number of good restaurants and a good beach.

Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
mj

A third for Maggorie, more cost effective and more fun IMHO.

Jun 5th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Joanne

Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Jun 5th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Catherine

Definately go to Maggiore. The islands are so unusual and will give you something to do without a lot of walking. The Palace on Isola Bella with its grotto and white peacocks will be the highlight of your stay.

Jun 5th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Paule

Well, I think Lake Como's scenery is much more dramatic than Maggiore. While you can't go wrong, it may depend more on what you like. I think Bellagio is a beautiful town to stay in, and the ferry ride between towns on the lake is spectacular. Maggiore is pretty, but definitely not as spectacular as Como. The Borromean islands are essentially large (huge) old family estates that are rather fun and sometimes bizarre, but may get a little boring for 2 teenagers.

Jun 5th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Joanne

Great suggestions, thanks. Any good restaurants worth remembering??

Jun 6th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Dawn

While visiting Lago di Maggiore, my husband and I had lunch at a wonderful restaurant (La Piraterria) which is on Isola de Madre. The restaurant hangs on the side of the island and overlooks the lake. The day we were there the weather was fabulous, and our lunch was very good and reasonable. We still talk about it.

Jun 6th, 2001, 11:55 PM
K

We just came back from Italy. This time we went to Bellagio on Lago Como. Our previous visit we stayed in Locarno on Lago Maggiore and my husband and I feel that both lakes are beautiful but we definitely preferred Lago Maggiore.

Jun 7th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Sue

K, can you think of why you and your husband preferred one to the other? Maybe Lake M. has more to do for those who want things to do, while Lake Como is wilder, more rugged, a more 'get away from it all' place? (I've not been to either, so I'm totally guessing...)

Jun 7th, 2001, 11:15 PM
K

Sue, I would have to say that the statement Lago Como is wilder and more rugged is a matter of opinion. My husband and I feel that Lago Maggiore is wilder and more rugged. I just asked my husband's reasons for choosing Maggiore over Como and he stated he felt it was less touristy and populated. In fact the entire time we stayed in Locarno we only met one other American couple and she was raised in the area and returns often. Her comment was the Americans have not really discovered the area.
I agree though that both lakes are very beautiful and either one would be a great choice.
I will have to go back to Maggiore just to see Stresa. We drove along the lake to almost to Stresa but missed it as we got on the autostrada before Stresa. Our experience was that Maggiore was a little less expensive.
I had to look at this posting. Just this week my husband and I were talking about both lakes and we both came to the conclusion that we preferred Maggiore.
If you like you can e-mail me if you have other questions and I will try to answer them.

Jun 8th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Sue

K, thanks for getting back to me. I think logistics will decide which lake we see, when we finally get to take the trip (which won't be until at least next year.) Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Jun 8th, 2001, 11:29 PM
K

Sue, You didn't mention if you are going anywhere else in Italy?
We were in 5 different countries on this trip. We spent 2 weeks in Italy. I am already planning a return trip to Italy. I loved Venice, Tuscany and the Italian Riviera and the No.Lakes region. My husband and I both came to the same conclusion if we had to choose a town we liked best (and this includes all of the other European countries we visited this time or on previous visits) we would choose Santa Margherita. It is very picturesque and small. It is a 10 min. boat ride away from Portofino. If you have the chance, go there. The train goes to it and it is very easy to take a train to Cinque Terre from there. We had a car on this trip,which I recommend.
We did enjoy our trip, however my husband was not feeling well so I did not get to see as many things as I would have under the circumstances. I can't wait to go back!

Jun 9th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Sue

K, seek help at once. You have a disease called "Italiophilia"

We've seen central Italy and the Cinque Terre, and I wish we'd had more than just an afternoon in SMLigure! Next trip we want to see Austria, then cross the Alps down to Venice. We'd see the Lake district en route back up north to Zurich, our airline gateway.

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Larry

Agree with "K" - a strong second for SML.AA cancelled our flight out of Milan and put us up in Stresa at the Hotel Bristol - weather was lousy but really liked Stresa for the short time we were there.

Jun 9th, 2001, 10:38 PM
K

Sue, Where are you planning to go in Austria? This was my 3rd visit to Austria. We also have either flown in or flown out of Zurich.
We really like Innsbruck area. We stayed in a little town of Zirl a few miles out of Innsbruck at a wonderful small hotel by the name of Tyrolis. We had an apartment for just under $100 a day including breakfast. It is within a kilometer of the road that goes up to Mittenwald and Garmisch. E-mail me if you are interested and I can give you there web address and I also have some great drives that have stunning scenery and some not to miss towns in the area to recommend. The first time I was in the area we visited a friend who resides in the area who showed us all around.