Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como, Orta, Lugano and Maggiore Guide Books

Feb 9th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Michael Ivler

This question my be out of bounce, but here goes:

I know Fodor's is the best Guide book out there (I'm assuming), but can anyone recommend any other guide books that are almost as good for this region?
also
I will be going for 10 days in July. I'm a pretty busy person, so I don't have time to take a language course (or 2 for that matter), but I was hoping that someone knows of language guide which would be particularly helpful for my situation. I am embarrassed to admit that I do not speak a word of Italian. I would like to start studying the basics now so that I can thank someone or ask for directions when I am there.

Thanks for the help

Feb 9th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Michael Ivler

Just a quick clarification, I am hoping the guidebook will have good information I will want to bring with me on the trip (after I figure out the details), such as detailed maps, possibly train/bus maps/schedules. Something I will want to bring with me for insight and convenience.

Thanks Again.

Michael

Feb 9th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Richard

Michael, You sound like a shill for the "Michelin Green Guide" for Italy.There is a language page on this site for the fundamentals.

Feb 9th, 2000, 04:03 PM
wes fowler

Michael,
Look for the "Visitor's Guide Italian Lakes" in the Regional Traveller Series published by Moorland Publishing Co Ltd. Moor Farm Road West, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, DE6 1HD, England and Hunter Publishing Inc. 300 Raritan Center Parkway, CN94 Edison NJ 08818. It's ISBN 0861905040. Filled with color photos and maps it's designed for the motorist and has a wealth of information of value.

Feb 12th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Tom

Dear Michael,
For a quick Italian lesson, go to Fodors web site and click on language, and you can learn a lot of words and phrases and also hear them spoken.
Tom

Feb 12th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Michael Ivler

To answer my own question for anyone else that might be interested. I just found a great book Michelin Italian Lakes in your Pocket. Although I haven't seen the Michelin's Italy Green Guide, I believe this one is more detailed with more pictures. This book is perfect for what I was looking for. I will know where I am staying and eating (for the most part), before I go. This is a guide for all the other good information. Also www.fodors.com/language is perfect. All the helpful sayings I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for the information.