Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GETTING AROUND AMALFI COAST SHOULD I RENT A CAR OR USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Jim

Is getting around the Amalfi coast area easy by bus. Say if I'm staying in Positano can I easily jump on a bus to go to Sorrento or elsewhere. Can I count on the buses or should I rent a car? Thanks

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Carol

I found the buses very reliable during the day. I can't vouch for the evening, however.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Christine

Jim, <BR>From Positano, you can get a boat or hydrofoil to Capri, and Amalfi. The view of the cliffs from the boat are spectacular. And just the sight of Amalfi as you pull into dock is awesome. <BR>You can tour around Amalfi for a few hours, and then catch the public bus up to Ravello, a ride better than any roller coaster. Public transportation is very good in season, and I think the <BR>trip is so much better when your not looking for parking and just enjoying the ride. There are a lot of buses between Positano and Amalfi and Sorrento, but the boat is the best way <BR>to go in my opinion, and it's only a few dollars (maybe $6-8). Email me directly if you need any information.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 04:59 PM
P&C

Public transportation is our advice. Train is best. Be careful, evenings bring pickpockets and other thieves. Car rental is tricky as is parking - if you really feel you need a car suggest Auto Europe - you can call them from Italy toll free and make arrangements - good company, based in Maine in US - one of the worlds largest rental cos. Good luck

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Jim Freyvogel

Jim - The SITA bus is the only way to go. They run hourly between Sorrento and Amalfi. From Sorrento to Positano takes about 45 minutes and costs L2.200 which is about $1.25. From Positano to Amalfi is another 45 minutes. There are two stops in Positano. The first stop (going from Sorrento to Amalfi) is high and the second low. The trick is to get off at the high stop and walk down to your hotel. Get on at the low stop to avoid the climb back up. <BR>I love the entire Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi coast area and have been there three times in the last three years. I have some good websites links and other info. If you are interested just drop me an e-mail.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Patrick

A train to get around the Amalfi coast?? Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think a train went to Positano or Amalfi. We drove -- the road to Positano was not nearly so bad as everyone said --less scary that the highway along the California coast south from Mendocino. One day we took the boat from Positano to Amalfi, and then the sea got rough so all return boats were cancelled. We waited at the bus stop in Amalfi in pouring rain for two hours for the next bus. Approx. 200 people were waiting for one bus. We shoved like a lot of others and got on, leaving the other 150 or so stranded for another couple of hours. We stood on the bus, jammed like sardines for the hour plus ride back to Positano, one of the worst travel experiences of my life. Trust me. Do not rely on public transport in that area --drive. If someone can guarantee you that there will be no crowds and that bad weather won't throw everything off, they go for the public transport. Otherwise, drive!!