Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

lake como or garda - which would you pick?

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:03 AM
margaret

My husband and I will be travelling to Italy for 10 days in mid-June - our tentative plan is as follows:
2 days - Como or Garda
2 days - Dolomites (Cortina)
2 days - Venice
4 days - Tuscany
We are having a rough time deciding between Como or Garda - my husband says we could do both but I'd rather not hop around - any opinion?
Thanks.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:07 AM
Daniel

Lake Garda, at least the southern end, is summer holiday, swimming, beaches, family, charter flights and package holidays. Lake Como is oldfashioned, romance, colder water.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:15 AM
Terra

I personally would choose Lake Como over Lake Garda. I think it is a prettier area-- although some will likely disagree with me!

But if you are into watersports, or travelling with a family, Garda may be better.

Either way, you'll enjoy it!

Terra

Jun 4th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Steve James

Hello Margaret,

Both Como and Garda have much to offer.
Personally I prefer Lake Garda, north end.

RIVA DEL GARDA and LIMONE are hard to beat IMO.

Lake Garda seems to appeal to a younger crowd, from my experience.

Steve

Jun 4th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Julie

The advice given above is correct in comparisons between the two. Having said that I speak in praise of Lake Como. It is beautiful (one of my top 6 favorite spots in my known world and I've been in most non-Scandinavian European countries) and very relaxing while still providing a lot to do. Stay in Menaggio, Bellagio or Varenna and travel among the three by ferry. Beautiful gardens, lake views and interesting food in small, very walkable towns.

The only thing that gives me pause is that you're traveling in mid-june and it's already June 4. I assume that means you do not have reservations which might prove difficult for you on either lake. Or is this planning for next year?

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:06 PM
margaret

Thanks for the input - I'm leaning toward Como - I was planning on not booking ahead and just showing up in Bellagio/Varenna and finding something - is this naieve?

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Grasshopper

In Mid-June like a week or two from now? Yes, I would say that's naive for a resort like either of these two areas! And I'm a fly by the seat of your pants kinda gal!

Jun 4th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Beth

Margaret,
were you planning on just showing up in Venice too? Because I think you will be sorry if you try to go there without a hotel reservation. You may well end up having to sleep somewhere in Mestre.

Also, I tried to book hotels in Bellagio for three days in early June (I'm leaving tomorrow!) about 6 weeks ago. I tried 3 places and they were completely booked. I had no trouble getting a room in Varenna. I'm not sure what you will find if you show up.

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Diane

Lake Como hands down if you are looking for a more picturesque and romantic lake.
We have been to both. Lake Garda was much more of a resort area. There are some interesting towns along Lake Garda like Sirmione (Disney like) but Lake Como is where I would want to actually live.
Try the Hotel Terminus right in Como. It is very pretty with beautiful lake views.

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:36 PM
xxx

Wow, yes, you are definitely naive if you think you'll find accommodations anywhere in Italy when you get there. Get on the horn and make reservations now. And by the way, Maggiore is the best lake of all. Hit the books and make those reservations or you'll be sorry!