Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como, east or west side for driving?

Jun 4th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Will be staying in Bellagio in October and headed to Switzerland - towards St. Moritz. We will be driving. Which is the most scenic side of Lake Como, east or west? Thanks for any help.
Jun 4th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Wish I could be helpful. I've asked a similar question about the Lake area and driving on to the Black Forest. We'll be going thru Switzerland and like you, I want to see the Lake area but don't want extra driving time. Maybe someone will come to our rescue soon. Meanwhile, your question gets "topped." That will help! Good Luck
Ashcanannie
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Sasi, It really does not matter--it all comes to the same place at the north end. I have always done the west side from Mennagio, and I believe that is where the car ferry goes--actually to Cadenabbia. It is not a long drive--try to stop at Soglio just off the road.
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Bootman4U

Both sides are equally "scenic" although you might consider car ferrying from Bellagio over to Menaggio and then driving onward...up to you..some might have comments about the "thrill factor" of the roads on the East vs. the West sides.

Jun 5th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I have heard the West side is an easier road to drive than the East, but have not driven them myself. I am also curious as I will be driving to Bellagio this summer. Anyone know the answer?
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:56 PM

I'm not very good at that east-west thing. We drove on the side where you had to take the ferry across to get to Bellagio. It was very easy and the lanes were wide enough (as wide as Highway 1 in California) . The scenery was pretty. I heard from a friend of mine that the other road has a little more of the "thrill factor" that Bootman talked about.
Jun 5th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! We will check into the ferry crossing although we want to check out the scenery and small villages, too. We are headed to the Engadin and Austria, so will plan on lunch in Soglio. Any suggestions for a good place? Also, looking for the best place to spend a night in Switzerland...not too expensive but charming (what everyone wants!). Love this forum. Sasi
Jun 5th, 2003, 02:48 PM
rex

I think it would be more accurate to refer to the "six sides" of Lake Como since it is shaped like a "stick figure" - - namely ...

1. the OUTside of the west "leg" - - continues on, at Menaggio, to...
2. the west side of the "torso"
3. the INside of the west leg, which ends in Bellagio, and connects by ferry to #2 or #5 - - usually said to be so narrow and twisty as to be unpleasant.
4. the inside of the east leg - - not sure if this even exists;
5. the outside of the east leg - - presumably, this is roughly along the same general path as the train service to Varenna - - continues on to...
6. the east side of the "torso".

My only personal experience is with number 1; we arrived from Lugano which comes into Menaggio perpendicular to the junction of "number 1 and number 2". There are signposts in Menaggio which indicate that "the way to St. Moritz is "number 2" (i.e., the west side) - - but perhaps it's true that #2 and #6 join up at the northern tip of the lake.

My main recollection of the beauty of Lake Como is looking up at BOTH sides from ON the lake - - not particularly left with a memory of awesome beauty driving ALONG the "west side".

Best wishes,

Rex