Lake Como Accommodations

Search

Lake Como Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como Accommodations

Ok, I guess I probably can't stay in Bellagio by default as the poster Jean pointed out. I looked quickly online on the suggestions on Tripadvisor and on this forum and things seem pretty booked up for early Sept. (I've not called the hotels directly).

On Venere it looks like I can still book Il Perlo Panorama. It looks like a poster here (Michael) has stayed here. I'm hesitant because it's 3km out of town. I won't have a car. Could you comment?

Could someone quickly provide a list of backup options? Stay in a different town, etc.?

Normally I'm more prepared but I've waited too long and don't have much time to do all the research required.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM

On Venere there is also a choice for "Lake Como" which includes a lot of towns on the lake. What are your dates exactly?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM

Could you please tell us why you "can't stay in Bellagio by default."
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of probably Sept. 2-4.

I can't stay in Bellagio by default because it looks like the most popular hotels are booked.

But I'm planning to call in the morning. Also after looking some more, I've found a few options in Bellagio, but the Tripadvisor reviews are not the best.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Surprisingly, Hotel du Lac has availability. I've booked a room with a lake view at 190 euros for now.

Maybe I can look around more. Cancellation is 14 days.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Ok, called Metropole and booked via e-mail at 144 euros a night.

What's the half-board option, by the way? They offer that for 30 more euros, which I didn't take. I assume that's lunch or something? Anyway I doubt it makes sense since my arrival the first day will be late.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Half board commits you to eating dinner at the hotel. The cost is usually exclusive of wine. If the hotel prides itself on its kitchen, and many do (or is the only hotel in town) it's a good option. In Bellagio, you'll have other options, and if you'd rather eat at the hotel once you see the menu and space, you can.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

That seems awfully cheap, no? I mean 30 euros extra for dinner? Or is this that per person?

The e-mail reads "Euro 144,00 per night per room including breakfast or Euro 174,00 including half board."

So sounds like I can opt for dinner for 30 euros for two.

I guess if I want I can tell them I only need half board for night #2 if I don't get in early enough for night #1.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:32 AM

I suspect its per person, and it is cheap (even per person) for Bellagio. You might find you get a limited menu. That sometimes happens.

People will disagree, my experience of Bellagio and that general area of Lago di Como is that the food is not fantastic. I wouldn't invest a lot in finding the "best" restaurant. If you like the view from the restaurant, or enjoy the pleasure of just walking upstairs after dinner, go for it. But I would think you can add it on there. E-mail them and ask.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll follow up with them once I finalize all my hotels and itinerary. There's a lot I need to do.

By the way, in case people are curious, Belvedere didn't have availability as of this morning. So they are probably the most popular.

I didn't try Florence that's been recommended here. I figured that Metropole will be fine. They promised a front lake view.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM

I agree with fall06 about the food in Bellagio. Very disappointing almost everywhere we went. Unbelievably, the best place we found was a tiny pizzeria tucked away on a small pedestrian street between town the Hotel Belvedere.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've never been disappointed with any of our many meals at Bilacus in Bellagio. Dining on their outdoor terrace on a warm summer evening is one my favorite memories. (Reservations recommended; your hotel can call for you.) The restaurant at the Florence Hotel is also pretty good but a bit more formal.

111op, the Metropole is fine. I wouldn't go for the half-board because I don't like to be locked into a pre-paid dinner unless I've been to the place before.

The Hotel Florence is nicer, more expensive and always my first choice. The du Lac in Bellagio would be in the same category as the Florence.

Did you look in Varenna? I can recommend the Hotel du Lac (Varenna). It has a terrace with gorgeous views of the lake. The breakfast room has the same view.

Not too many stay at Il Perlo because of the distance from town, but the walk is very pleasant and Il Perlo's location is very quiet and uncrowded. You'd have to cab there from the Bellagio ferry dock.

The Hotel Belvedere is an uphill walk from the ferry landing. With luggage and a late-ish arrival, you'd probably want to cab there from the Bellagio ferry dock.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM

We tried to stay in the Hotel Milano which Rick Steve's recommends but our reservation got screwed up in the process of international faxing. They found a room for us in the Villa Cipresi which was more expensive but gorgeous.

---

Chris Christensen
Amateur Traveler podcast
http://AmateurTraveler.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll stick to Metropole for now. There're a lot of things I need to do -- like book plane tickets.

I didn't look in Varenna because I figured that I'll be there for two days, so probably Bellagio is a bigger town and has more to do.

I'll keep Bilacus in mind. Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM

111op: I saw your post mentioning The Belvedere had no vacancy during your stay. Well, at least they were upfront about it. My husband and I were booked to stay at the Hotel Belvedere for 4 nights in 2004. Having CONFIRMED reservations made months in advance and having RE-CONFIRMED a few days before arrival, we arrived after 10 hours of travel from Switzerland (2 trains, and a ferry) to have the woman at the front desk tell us there were no rooms available due to some car race taking place that week, that year. Since she couldn't guarantee when a room would become available, she had booked us into another hotel (I can't remember the name). Can you believe this b.s.? What is a reservation for then? Further, she felt we should be happy because this other hotel was much cheaper. We were then taken to the other hotel which was way inferior - the room was tiny and the lake view was only partial over many old rooftops. After telling her in no uncertain terms how upset I was, we were finally moved back to her hotel the next morning. There was room after all and she upgraded us to a superior room with a bigger balcony. Great hotel and fantastic view. We couldn't get enought of it. The remaining 3 days were wonderful! But buyer beware!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that's quite a story.

I've never had a hotel renege like that. Also I've not had a hotel charge my card after I've cancelled. I'm always fearing that this will happen some day.

Metropole seems to be very nice based on my dealings with them. E-mails are courteously and promptly answered. That's partly why I think that I'll stick with them rather than spend more time looking at something else. Plus they're 46 euros cheaper than Hotel du Lac.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

The Metropole sounds like a plan to me! You will have a wonderful time in Bellagio. The people are very nice and the lake and towns absolutely awesome. Don't forget to visit the villas...We visited Villa Balbianello and Villa Melzi which have beautiful gardens and overlook the lake. BTW, we never opt for half-board because we like to have the freedom to try different restaurants. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

It looks like the Metropole Bellagio is getting good press.

Makes me happy! I booked there for seven nights next May (2008).

I tend to ask a lot of questions in my e-mails and the Metropole staff answered everyone of them - politely and quickly.

Right now, I am satisfied with my decision to stay at the Metropole.

111op, I hope to hear about your stay at this hotel when you return. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks. I'll report back.

I've booked all of my plane tickets as well, but I still have a lot of more hotels and potentially train tickets to book.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Ok, it looks like Metropole has no a/c, but I've not asked them specifically. What's the weather like there in early Sept.? Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -