Lake Como

Oct 20th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Lake Como

Hi: I am planning a trip to Italy for early June 2006. We have rented apartments in Arezzo for 2 weeks. We have rented a van (there are 6 of us) and I am trying to decide if we should take 2 days and drive to Lake Como area. I have never been to that part of Italy and I have ready how beautiful that it is. However, I do not want to take time from Tuscany and Umbria and miss something in that area. It will be my 3rd visit to Italy, but for some of my friends it will be there first time. Please advise. Thank you!
Oct 20th, 2005, 04:27 AM
rex

<<...trying to decide if we should take 2 days and drive to Lake Como area...>>

I vote yes. Villa Balbianiello, just to cite one highlight of visiting Lake Como, is worthy of "trumping" almost anything i can think of, in Tuscany and Umbria!

Consider Menaggio as a place to stay.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 20th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Do you realize that it'll take the better part of a day (about 5 non-stop hours) to get there?
Oct 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM
rex

Follow-up to your e-mail to me...

Menaggio is a good choice for:

1. those traveling to car; perhaps easiest fastest to get to

2. families not looking to break the bank; likely to get 25% more bang for buck from hotel room

3. families not necessarily into the "glitterati" of Bellagio; Don't get me wrong - - Bellagio is to Mercedes as Menaggio is to Chrysler, and both have many fans for good reason. But Menaggio has a bit more "real town" feel to it. Enjoy Bellagio; it's truly spectacular and only 11 minutes away by ferry; but take in a morning stroll and/or sleep and/or go to mass - - more mundane things... in Menaggio.
Oct 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I agree with TuckH. Unless you'll dedicate more than two days, it's not worth it. It really requires two travel days plus two sightseeing days.
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM

<<Follow-up to your e-mail to me...>>

Heh, hee, so sorry Rex. No, it was me that e-maileed you about Menaggio. Glad to read your response in the thread.
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Three days and two nights and it might be feasible. Leave early, around 8 a.m., and if the 5 hours quoted previously are correct, you'll be on Lake Como for a late lunch. You'll have the afternoon there, and the following day. The day after that, visit some sites on your way home, figuring on leaving the Lake Como area after lunch. For a reasonable hotel with a beautiful view, try Il Perlo Panorama above Bellagio.

Search this Thread