Search

Lake como

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2014, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake como

Plan to be in lake como for four nights in sept. Really want to stay at villa d este. Not sure if it is very convenient for touring lake. Am considering two nights in bellagio to be convenient for touring and then moving to villa d este just to enjoy that property. Anyone have thoughts on this. Are there water taxis at villa d este. How long to get to bellagio or villa Carlotta from there. I have tried to look at ferry schedules but don't seem to understand them. Is it worth moving from one hotel to another for location
Thanks for any help
Happy travels!
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 12:46 PM

I recommend Bellagio highly as a good base to explore the central lake (Varenna, Villa Carlotta and Bellagio itself).
Have only had drinks at Villa d'Este (several times) as it is not in my price range to sleep there. You are right that it is not well situated for visiting the central lake.
Don't have direct knowledge of water taxis from Este but I can't imagine they don't exist. I am sure you could go anywhere along the lake in them, fast, for a price.
Whether you end of staying at Este or only visiting for a drink or a meal depends on how long you want to be there and what are your goals – just see the place or have the full experience. Also depends on your budget. I could see staying in Bellagio, then going from there (via car or ferry) to Como, then back to Este, which is not far, or directly from Bellagio to Este and spending much of the day having a drink by the lake, then perhaps lunch, and moving on, having experienced the villa without staying there. Your call, really.
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I have "always" wanted to stay at villa d 'este. Your recommendation of Bellagio for exploring the lake seems accurate. Hard to make a decision without first hand knowledge. Your input is most helpful.
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Across from Bellagio, near Villa Carlotta, in the hills above Tremezzo is this lovely restaurant.
On the Villa d' Este side.
http://www.alveluu.com/index_light.php

We stayed at Tremezzo grand Hotel and had dinner at Al Veluu 2 times.. If you are in this area, don't miss it. Getting the boats to anywhere on the lake was convenient from Tremezzo and the view of Bellagio across the lake at sunset was stunning from the balcony or up the hill from the hotel.
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you TPAYT. Will check this out
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM

I can't speak to your query @ Villa d'Este, but we stayed at the Hotel Florence in Bellagio last April and loved it (go for a balcony room, which is a bit of a misnomer as it is not a large balcony but a lakefront facing room with a small window opening type of balcony). Just steps from the ferry landing but perfectly situated to traverse the lake, and close to good restaurants and shops, etc. Villa Carlotta was an easy hop on the ferry from Bellagio. We dream of returning soon!
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks el
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM

Book marking thanks will check out the Restaurant recommended. We are staying in Bellagio for 3 nights but are looking forward to staying for 2 nights at Villa d'Este.
Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM

We felt the same way about Villa d'Este - always wanted to stay there! Went for two nights and it was everything we had dreamed of. We had the most amazing view (no balcony). Grounds are amazing, tennis courts, gym and pool are wonderful. Food fantastic. Go go go!
Nice, short walk to the ferry landing .. spent a couple of hours in Bellagio and it was extremely crowded..happy to be back at the hotel.
Have a wonderful time !!