Reload this Page >

Lake Annecy-Chamonix & Cable Cars

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 07:10 AM
jane

We will be staying on Lake Annecy (Taillories) for 3 nights. Have read alot about Chamonix and I am wondering if it is worth it to make a day trip to Chamonix (we will have a car). I have heard a lot about the cable cars- has anyone done this, I know that I will probably get some grief for asking this but is it safe? Sounds kind of scary to be hanging thousands of feet over glaciers. <BR>Thank You.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Russell Wayne

Good for you. We stayed in Talloires last month and it was outstanding. Stayed at Les Pres Du Lac. Superb setting, very congenial. The Auberge de Pere Bise used to be the class of the area, but it's gone from three stars to one on the food side, and that's bad news. The setting, however, remains exceptional. Right next door are L'Abbaye and the Cottage Bise. Didn't see the rooms so I can't comment. I'd go back to Les Pres du Lac in a heartbeat. While there we had a pleasant Savoie style (local region) meal at L'Auberge des Dents de Lanfon. It's about 10 minutes away in Bluffy. Also ate at L'Auberge de l'Eridan in Veyrier, less than 10 minutes. That's Marc Veyrat's three star, which certainly ranks among the world's most exceptional restaurants. At $200 or so per head, however, people should think twice before going three since the cuisine is often unidentifiable. That's not a negative, just an observation. Among the more reasonable restaurant possibilities are Gay Sejour in Faverges and La Chataignerie in Bredannaz as well as several one stars in the Annecy area. Other choices in Talloires are La Charpenterie and La Villa des Fleurs. We ate at the latter. OK, but nothing special. <BR>Don't bother with Chamonix; too far for not enough. Megeve is closer and more attractive, if you have a hankering to see an Alpine resort in the summer. Cable cars may be of interest, but you should check with the local tourist office to see if any are operating at this time of year. In summer, they're most useful for hikers. Unless you're way up, you're not likely to be above the glaciers. Most of the snow is above the 10,000 ft. level. I rode a cable car last month and everything below was green.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:52 PM
jane

Thanks so much for your response Wayne, its just the information that I was looking for. How is the dress there? <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 07:19 AM
janet

my husband and i were in chamonix 4 years ago and took the gondola to the top of the mountain where you could look straight across to mont blanc - it was beautiful! it is safe, albeit slightly anxiety-provoking being so far up&gt; like the previous writer, it was all green underneath - no glaciers. i have several pictures from the top of the mountain looking down into the valley, and the houses look like toys! amazingly breathtaking. we had lunch at a tiny hotel in the village - i can't remember that name, but i am sure i still have the card, so i will look and get back to you. we had a simple and inexpensive lunch - i had soup de poisson (fish soup) that was beyond good and my husband had a jambon (ham) sandwhich and we had some bread and wine - it was late for lunch so we were all alone at a graden table, surrounded by flowers, looking up to mont blanc - it is still one of my most sepcial memories - GO, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Russell Wayne

Throughout the provinces, there's no reason to wear other than "neat casual", certainly not dressy. (But no jeans or shorts.) In each of the "fancy" places we went to, a nice top and slacks was adequate . . . and common. What's more, dogs regularly accompany their owners, even in the best places, so don't be surprised. We've gotten used to that, but were taken mildly aback at Marc Veyrat's by a young couple, dressed very casually and busy rolling joints throughout the evening. At $200 or more per person, that's informal.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:59 PM
greg

I have to say that the ride by cable cars (2) from Chamonix up the the Aiguille du Midi was a great experience. This was early July, Mont Blanc and surrounds were covered with snow, and the views were spectacular. Of course mountain weather is changeable - we had a brilliany sunny day, if the sky was not clear the experience would be much diminished. In my opinion - not to be missed