Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Spezia, parking for the Cinque Terre - help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, does anyone know if there is long term (3 day) parking at La Spezia train station. I was going to drive, but now think that I will park and take the train from there. Thanks
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Consider traveling to the 5 towns daily via boat rather than by train - more scenic. (I don't know about the parking.)
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Aine: Look for parking in the lot in front of the train station. Might take a while, but people are coming and going all the time. So, it shouldn't take too long. You can park as long as you like. I have done this for three or more days on several occaisions.
Don't leave ANYTHING visible in the car that might suggest it would be worth breaking into. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much. Its not until mid October so it probably will not be so crowded. I haven't been able to find that info anywhere. Do you remember how often the trains go out to the towns, I am going to Vernazza? Big thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM
gb

We had a similar decision to make. After visiting LaSpezia,we decided to go to Levanto to park our car, and take the train to Vernazza. The drive from the highway to Levanto was not a problem. And there is a parking lot at the train station.I also beleive the train is more frequent from Levanto to Vernazza, than from La Spezia
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but wanted to add my 2 cents to the conversation. When we were there in July, the boats were not running even though it wa a beautiful sunny day with calm water...so don't depend on the boats. It is true that you can't see much by train, so I hope you can hike part of the trails. The scenery is breathtaking!

After arriving in La Spezia and seeing how crowded the city was, we drove straight to Riomaggiore and parked there. It was a windy road but not far. I think we saved time by doing so.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM

while I am quite good at geography I am struggling to locate Cinque Terre. Where is that?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:30 AM

The Cinque Terre are the five towns - Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore - that cling to the hilly coastline just to the west and north of La Spezia, Italy.

Until only recently there was no road linking them, their means of contact with the outside world being only by water and a rail line. There is a footpath linking them and those of us that have made that scenic hike will likely never forget it!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM

There is a public parking lot about 5 blocks from the train station. Stop at the station and ask the Tourist Office how to get to it. Parking is free and a short walk back to the train station.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:41 AM

No reason to park in La Spezia--just drive to Monterosso or Riomaggiore and park there--much closer.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM

ttt
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM

There is a circular turn-around in front of the La Spezia train station and cars are parked all around there. In addition, there is a parking lot to the left of the station (if you are standing in front of the train station).

Also, dependent on the CT town you will be going to, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso all have car lots to park in.

If you decide on La Spezia, you could then hop on a local 5 digit train to the CT. (The nearest town, Riomaggiore, is 10 mins away.)