La Rochelle or Ile De Re

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

La Rochelle or Ile De Re

We are calling at La Rochelle, 12 hour cruise stop, in September.

We are undecided on whether to stay in La Rochelle for the day or go to Ile De Re. Any ideas?
Can you catch a ferry from the cruise port to the island?

Cheers medears
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:16 AM

No ideas but wish I could be at that place someday where Huguenot ancestors fled for safety and landed what became New Rochelle, NY. Ambroise Sicard and family were from Mornac to the south and was a salt maker.

Enjoy your cruise!
Bill now in Boston
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I doubt that you can catch a ferry. There is a bridge to go over to the island. I am not sure that public transportation is that convenient. The island is probably best seen leisurely on bicycles, although we spend the day driving around. I would stick to La Rochelle.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM

La Rochelle is a ***-Michelin rated city so i would concentrate on this most unique place - the Ile de Re is for lovely walks along the coast IMO - so if that grabs you more take a bus to some place where some really really nice coastal paths go along this gorgeous rugged coast.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM

The coast is beautiful, but there's nothing rugged about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622845839973/ and subsequent pictures.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM

a favorite place to eat in La Rochelle, Les Flots.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I think a LOT is going to ride on what you consider to be a "scenic" beach area. Two years ago we made a trip up from the Bordeaux area and through the so-called "Green Venice" region and ended up on the Isle de Re...I certainly didn't find it to be all that scenic or interesting compared to some of the other beach areas I've been to both here in the US as well as throughout the South Pacific. At least the place has some SANDY beaches compared to some of the beaches along the coast of the Med and so forth.

The island had plenty of traffic (not annoyingly so) and is fairly large. It cost plenty to drive over the toll bridge. Those kids from "Jersey Shore" would undoubtedly be bored out of their minds since i didn;t see any cotton candy or corndogs for sale.

Personally, i would concentrate on LaRochelle
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise, I think by what you all say we will stay in La Rochelle for the day and sample some white wine and oysters.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM

If you are having lunch in La Rochelle, I highly, highly recommend Bar Andre.

(I liked it much better than Les Flots, which is more upscale/pricey)

http://www.barandre.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM

La Rochelle proper is one of our favorite cities in all of France! The old harbor, the two towers at the entrance (one has a great gift shop with lots of educational kids products), the light house, morning food market, and GREAT up-scale shopping under the famous arcades.

Top it off with a gourmet meal on the beachfront at Michelin starred Richard Coutanceau...now THAT'S livin'!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Totally agree with everything klondike said. La Rochelle is fabulous and Richard Coutanceau is a major treat. Ile de Re is very pretty in parts (the "capital" of St-Martin is adorable), and the salt flats are interesting, but I think arranging public transportation might be a bit of a hassle. And there's so much to see in a Rochelle, you certainly won't be bored. The beaches at and near La Rochelle are truly bizarre though - you have to walk about a half mile out in mud to reach waist-high water. MUCH more pleasant just to grab a seat at a bar or restaurant along the shore and drink wine.