Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

La Granja de san ildefonso Palace vs. another day in Segovia

Old Apr 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Segovia 2 1/2 days. Should we spend all the time there (we are BIG history and architecture buffs and want to tour the Juderia) or take the bus to the beautiful little Versailles in San Ildefonso? Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM

Does this have to be either/or question?
I have been to La Granja while staying in Segovia. I took the earliest bus to match the opening time, visited the palace, walked the garden, had lunch at San Ildefonso, took a bus back to Segovia by mid afternoon and continued visiting a few more places in Segovia. While La Granja also gets tour groups, it was a relief to enjoy the tranquility and to stay away from buses and buses of tour groups pouring into Segovia. I found Segovia to be rather modern for the most part and not like Toledo where the whole city is historical.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 04:18 PM
kja

While it depends on your preferred pace of travel, I think 2.5 days is very generous for Segovia. I would think you would have time for a side trip if that's your preference. Do you need to decide in advance?
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 04:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I think you can do a side trip to La Granja with 2 1/2 days in Segovia.

I stopped at La Granja on my way to my 2 night stay in Segovia. Only took a few hours to see.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We will be staying in Segovia and I was just trying to get your opinions on whether or not it would be better to stay in Segovia and soak up more there vs. spend even more time in transit. We are not the typical Americans (one city per night) and have been striving to have a "two night" rule and not just skim the surface.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:59 AM

La Granja is often overlooked but I love it! Take the bus at the small bus station-it's about 10-15 minute ride.It will drop you off at the gates and the walk up tp the palace is wonderful,huge trees.The gardens are so pretty and the fountains are incredible. I found the tour of the palace too long but if you are into history it may be of interest to you.I like to do lunch in La Granja rather than in Segovia and then take the bus back for a nice evening in Segovia.Take a walk through the newish parador in La Granja.There is a tiny tourist office outside of La Granja at the lower gate but the parador also will give you the lovely map.
In Segovia take a walk up to the alcazar along the main street but
on the way back walk along a different route -as you leave the castle keep to the left anf follow that road back-wonderful views.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Check out http://tinyurl.com/ne32nlo for information on La Granja and the other attractions in Segovia province.

There is also: www.segoviaturismo.es/municipio.php?id=5992