La Colombe D'Or

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Colombe D'Or

Last year in Nice we met some Irish ladies who raved about their meal at La Colombe d"Or. Has anyone on this forum been and did you think it was wonderful? How much should we expect to pay for a meal?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Been there and am going back in September. It's not cheap -- one of those birthday or anniversary kind of meals. Food was excellent, and loved the atmosphere outdoors when the weather is good. Cost varies wildly depending on what you eat and drink. Good art too!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed there three times and loved every minute, I wish I could afoord to do it again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I can't find much information on their website.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM

Bonjour Micheline Is it in St Paul de Vence or Nice? I may find something in French for you since you are fluent.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM

From what I read it must be the one in St Paul. Here is what I found (no prices unfortunately)
http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant..._Provence.html

http://www.routard.com/forum_message...ul_devence.htm

http://fr.nomao.com/363998.html

http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/restaurant...08/Profil-Lieu
Voila!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

It is in St Paul de Vence.
micheline, it is right in the village and a valet parks your car. There is a boule court opposite the hotel in front of a cafe.The pool area has a huge Calder mobile. Art is everywhere.
The outside dining has mosaics and sculptures. The inside dining and the bedrooms have paintings.
there's a beautiful book, A Taste Of Provence, the Colombre D' Or. It has photos of all the many celebrities who stayed there. yves Montand and Simone Signoret married there.
Stop in the post office and go upstairs where the walls are pasted with photos. one darling one of Yves playing boules.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM

The pics are great you're right mimi
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

Here's a photo of the pool and some information

http://www.forbestraveler.com/hotel-...lombe-dor.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM

You have the book coco?
We never gave eachother birthday or Christmas presents,
instead we had a pick of a special place to stay a few days
France.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM

I don't have the book, I saw the photos on their website
http://www.la-colombe-dor.com/#
It seems that when I go to your link, I can see the pool and then if I click on "view website" under the telephone number it goes to an American Colombe d'or in Houston http://www.lacolombedor.com
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM

that quote on the site by Cesar is by sculptor who died several years ago. when you enter the hotel there is a huge
sculpture of his thumb.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Coco! Thank you both for the websites. I'll go look at them now. We are two couples going in September. I saw the boules place last year so now I know exactly where it is located.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM

Micheline:

To answer your question I'm copying a paragraph from my 2006 trip report describing our superb luncheon at L'Colombe d'or as follows:

<i>Our last day in Cote d'azur area...and we have 1:00 reservations for lunch at L'Colombe d'Or in nearby St. Paul. One of the few reservations that we made in advance...having been disappointed by trying too late during past visits.

We decide to get into St. Paul earlier so we can mak a return visit to "The graeght Maeght Foundation". You don't want to miss this if anywhere in the vicinty...outstanding! Thoroughly enjoy our few hours at Maeght, encompassed by Miros, Chagalls, Matisses, etc. Marvelous galleries, inside and outside.

L'Colombe d'Or, world renowned (made our reservation three months in advance just to be sure), has a prime setting in this charming town. The hostess immediately recognized our name without looking at her list...my, oh my..along with our request for a terrace table, and everything goes off with precision...the day is sunny and comfortably warm, ambience and the service impeccable and the food tastefully presented and flavored. What more can one ask?

The featured appetizer was white asparagus, best we've ever tasted anywhere. Roz ordered the fricassee of chicken and I had a delicious sole so artfully stripped at tableside (no, not me, the sole). Dessert began with a sampler cheese dish and ended with a crispy-lidded creme brulee' and chocolate sticks... a carafe of chardonnay. (Total: $110)</i>

Not being voraciously keen foodies, so to speak, this marked a definite splurge for us...something we do a few times during a 3-4 week journey. Worth it? Definitely a highlight. Do it!

Stu Tower
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM

Good review Stu!

Loved the Thumb, didn't know whose it was, but seriously good photo op!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu. Just what I was looking for. What Thumb?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:56 AM

I had a memorable and not expensive lunch with 2 friends last spring. One of us ordered the house appetizer, an assortment of hot and cold dishes. The others ordered the plat du jour. Both the entree and the plat cost about 25 euros each. The waiter said the entree "is an appetizer but some people order it as a main dish." To serve it, he had to bring a separate table. It consisted of about 12 individual dishes, each of them delicious: meat, seafood, vegetable, etc. Plus a basket full of other vegetables and fruit: 3 hardboiled eggs, 3 whole tomatoes, a bunch of celery, a couple of bananas, and much more. By itself it would have been a meal for 3-4 people. The plat du jour, a delicious French version of chicken å la king, was also copious. We spent the entire meal laughing with surprise and delight. The only down side was that we were too full to have one of the delicious-looking desserts. I have a reservation to go back in September with other friends and hope to have the same meal.

The paintings, many of them payment in kind for meals and lodging, are wonderful.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Artwork, Micheline. See photo bottom left at this link:

http://www.saint-pauldevence.com/pre...ry.php?theme=2
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Just be sure to have a reservation.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Underhill....correct..there was no way we could have had lunch without a prior reservation...terrace was full and it was early spring.
stu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -