Search

La Banasterie - Avignon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Banasterie - Avignon

Hello!

Can anyone provide feedback on La Banasterie in Avignon? I notice from my search that Aggiemom was to have stayed in one of the "annex rooms" recently - if you see this, how did you find the experience/the rooms? (The proprietors have indicated that the Chuao room is available.)

We are hoping to book for 2 nights next June. We will be travelling with a 2 year old, so the fact that the room is more of an apartment would be a big plus for us.

Thanks so much!

Ella
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
aggiemom

Hello ella -

Yes, my husband and I stayed at La Banasterie Oct 18-22 this year. We were in the Annexe, a house a couple of doors down from the main B&B. The owners, Francoise and Jean Michel, were very charming and helpful.

We were in the "Mancerina." It had two rooms: a bedroom that measured about 12 x 14 with a very comfortable queen size bed. Armoire for clothes, small TV. Nightstands. No clocks. The room is very quiet and dark.

The bathroom was about 8 x 8 with a large tub with a hand held shower. Water supply was excellent and hot water was HOT. Nice toiletries, lots of towels including wash cloths.

The "sitting room" was a little larger, and contained two twin beds set up like day beds (with pillows, blankets) that were comfortable. Small table and four chairs. Tiny fridge, two burner stove and coffee maker, dishes, utensils. This room was sometimes noisy at night (say, 6-11:00 PM) with people walking, talking, street noise. It was not unbearable, but it may be a problem if you open the windows. I believe there is air conditioning, which we didn't need. I don't know if you plan to have your two year old sleep in there or just use it as an "extra room."

It was nice to have more than just one room to hang out in. My husband got sick while we were in France and he was forced to stay in bed much of the time, and I shopped for food and we had our lunches and dinners in the sitting room. We kind of pretended it was our first apartment! We were able to keep all we needed in the fridge so that was very handy to have.

The location was excellent. Walking distance to Palais des Papes, Pont St. Benezet, food stores, pharmacies, shopping district. Very convenient and safe location. The building itself is about 500 years old. The rooms were furnished with newer rustic-style furniture, simple but nice.

I'm sure Francoise and Jean Michel would be glad to help with anything such as dinner reservations, etc. Unfortunately, we didn't get to do much, but my overall impression was that the owners were lovely and eager to make you comfortable. The breakfasts were large and delicious - delivered to our door every morning.

The owners asked for about 30 percent deposit. They said I could send a check in US dollars and they would hold it until we arrived. At the end of our stay we paid in cash (they only accept cash.) Their cancellation policy was, as Francoise told me, "if you cancel up to three weeks before, we send your check back. After that, we will see what the problem is and we can negotiate."

If there is anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate. Have a wonderful trip!

mom

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
aggiemom

Bringing this message to the top in case ella can't find it.

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Aggiemom,

Thank you so much for all of the information! We have booked La Banasterie (one of the annex rooms) for 2 nights next June. Francoise and Jean-Michel have already been most pleasant to deal with.

I hope your husband has recovered from his illness. It's never fun to be sick when you're away from home but it sounds like you were nevertheless able to make the most of the circumstances.

Thanks again!

Ella

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM
aggiemom

You're welcome, ella! And thanks for the wishes for my husband. He is doing much better, almost back to normal.

Here's to a safe and happy trip!

mom

PS: Ella - one thing we did notice was that the lighting in the apartment seemed a little dull. It took us a day to figure out that there was an additional switch on the light cords of the lamps themselves (near the floor) to make it brighter.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Anyone stay here since this posting?
If so, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.