Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

L’atelier de lumière, after Les Baux, Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We loved the Van Gogh exhibition in Les Baux, in large part because of the setting in an old quarry.

We’re going to Paris for just three days this fall, and wondering if it’s different enough to warrant going?

We had thought we’d go, but with such a limited time, if it’s much like the one in Les Baux, we’re having second thoughts.

it does look stunning, though!

Thoughts, please, if you’ve seen both.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Have not seen both, only the one near Les Baux, twice. IMO, I would let the show and my interest in it determine whether to go or not, also my interest in other Paris sights. Have you been to Paris before? I have the impression that the location of the Paris facility is a bit out of the center. I think you can pre-buy tickets.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:43 AM

I've seen both. They are markedly different.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't bother with the Atelier des Lumières with its Van Gogh program after seeing the Van Gogh program at Les Baux. Les Baux is definitely better, and the Atelier des Lumières is only good for someone who can't get to Les Baux or to see a different show.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 10:08 AM

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Van Gogh exhibit at Atelier de lumières. It is one thing I wish we would have skipped. I realize that many people love it but I found it a bit gimmicky.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol, 2016adventurer, I know of one reviewer who agrees with you--and then some. He really lets people know what he thought about it.

https://hyperallergic.com/496300/van...-des-lumieres/
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a ticket to see this in May but ended up having to cancel my trip to Paris. Now, after reading that review cited by Leely, I am not so upset about missing this exhibit.

“Van Gogh, Starry Night is not only a ridiculous bastardization of beloved paintings, but a disgrace to quality immersive digital art: a detestable double feat of degradation.”

Tell us what you really think.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nikki, my favorites: "a nasty bit of metaphorical necrophilia," "a gliding field of spectacularly colored kitsch," and "one of the greatest banalizations of painting I have ever seen, matched only by van Gogh kitchen hand towels."
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As I am headed for Paris for a few days in September, and am always looking for "metaphorical necrophilia" and "gliding fields of spectacularly colored kitsch", I need to add this on my list of new things to see in Paris (and I don't have many left!). I see it's close enough to Pere Lachaise that I can do a two-fer: get in a few dead poets, painters, and musicians, then nip over to a kaleidoscopic rush by a dead artist.

Seriously, if it's anything like what I saw at Royce Hall at UCLA for their 100th Anniversary GTG, with its digital light show, I will enjoy it! Google "Lighting the Way Projection Project", UCLA.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 02:12 PM

Well that review was brutal / interesting. I would assume the author would have the same opinion of the original space near Les Baux? I guess I am quite the cultural moron - I was quite wowed by the presentation of the northern flemish? artists. I liked seeing the guests at Bruguel's? wedding painting dance along the wall and was quite overcome at the ending (can't remember what painting) of a fade up to a heavenly scene accompanied by "stairway to heaven".

Time to go clean up the dishes with my Van Gogh tea towel .
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Leely2
Nikki, my favorites: "a nasty bit of metaphorical necrophilia," "a gliding field of spectacularly colored kitsch," and "one of the greatest banalizations of painting I have ever seen, matched only by van Gogh kitchen hand towels."

Overwrought and excessive verbiage came to mind when I read that string of $100 words.
La de da, also came to mind.

Im guessing that was his opinion of Les Baux as well. We liked it, so there be it.

I think we’ll skip the Paris one. The Montmartre wine festival is on when we’re there, so we might end up exchanging one crowded experience for another.

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When is the Montmarte wine festival, Sugarmaple? Wow, you are a fountain of information! . . . you can tell I haven't researched this short trip (it's for a memorial), except to discover there is nothing at the Olympia that interests me, and I'll have recently missed Patti Smith, darn it all.
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

The Grape Harvest Festival is October 9 - 13.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 01:18 AM

I had a feeling that an art purist would hate the presentation, and would hate the others. You could almost predict the review, it's so cliche that a bot could write it. BTW, I found it especially suitable for children, as an accessible way to experience art. They all appeared to be enthralled. But skipping in a short trip is the right move.