Kvar town, Croatia

Search

Kvar town, Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kvar town, Croatia

I have two questions: 1- I have a choice of apartments to the East of town, or to the West of town, near hotel Amphora. Which is better and why?
2- (please don't lecture or laugh). I am over 65 (but not an "old lady&quot. I had an unpleasant experience in Positano, Italy, when all the shopkeepers and wait persons just looked through me as if I didn't exist, but gave attention to the 25 year olds of both sexes. I fear that I will experience the same in Hvar town, since it is now the new hot spot. Any opinions?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:24 PM

I really think you mean Hvar, Croatia, don't you? If you did, I shouldn't think you will have any problems. It is a lovely small town with friendly people, IME. I am in my 70's, and my wive --- well, never mind --- but we got along just fine. There are lovely walks along the paths that follow the shore, and paths that lead up to the fort at the top of the hill. Really steep, those, but worth while even for aging legs.

I would be surprised if anyone ignored you because of your age. After all, it is us "seasoned citizens" that have the bucks to spend.

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM

I too, am looking for Hvar accomodation and would be interested to know the answer to this question regarding a preferred side of town. Is one side hillier than the other? Any other advantage or disadvantage?

H
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM

Also, I read your response to another post. I assume from this one, you've found reference to the areas of Hvar. But if not, here's a link to a map that shows the names of the areas of town on a map:

http://www.tzhvar.hr/en/accommodation/private/
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM

My moderately informed answer is that it might depend on when you are going to be there. During the prime tourist season (July-mid-September) I would prefer to be farther from the harbour-center of things because it is an international "scene". But then I do like a good night's sleep. Your mileage may vary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

It's not east or west that matters so much as how close to the sea and old town, where it will be flatter but louder. Further back, you're going to have many steps. I stayed in a neighborhood east of old town, with a nice 15-20 minute walk, not that hilly of a walk. Hopefully there are photos available of the apts you are choosing from--pick the best view and ask the owner about the noise level and walking difficulty.