Krakow Hotel

Jan 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Krakow Hotel

First of all just wanted to say hi to everyone as I'm a newbie on the europe board!

My partner and I are looking to book a 3 night trip in April. Top of the list at the moment is Krakow. Can anybody recommend any centrally located hotels/apartments please? (budget low to mid &pound
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Amy

I really enjoyed the centrally located and historic Trecius. It's not too expensive, and the rooms are charming.
There's some info about it here in my thread (just click on my name) that has my trip report to Poland and Lithuania.
www.inyourpocket.com is a wonderful online source for Krakow accommodation recommendations.
Jan 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Campanile in Krakow. It is not charismatic, of course, but it had airconditioning, car parking and it was quiet. Situated inside the old town backing on to the Planty. Very economical too. Recommend!
Jan 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM

I stayed at Glodetrotter (I think that is how it is spelled) and felt it was a very good value for the money and convenient to things---it should be searchable on tripadvisor.com. Krakow is great!!!
Jan 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Wawel. (I think that's how you spell it.) We liked it, and it wasn't expensive, as I recall. (Come to think of it, if we stayed there, it couldn't have been expensive!)
Jan 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your recommendations! Do you think 3 nights is the right amount of time to spend in Krakow? Apart from taking the usual precautions when walking at night particularly in a city is it fairly safe to go out at night?
Jan 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Also forgot ask - do you think most touristy activities will be open by mid April?

Amy - do you think Zakopane would be worth visiting in April?

Thanks Again!
Jan 11th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Amy

Sorry, I didn't get to Zakopane; from my understanding, it's certainly nice, but a similar experience to many other "mountain resort" towns (including being quite crowded in the summer, when I went) so I used my time in other ways.

I was in Krakow for four nights as one full day was spent in Auschwitz and a half day in going to the Wielescka(sp.) salt mines. I certainly found enough to do for the time, but everything is pretty accessible and I would assume the crowds would be less in April at such sights as Wawel Hill.

Have a great trip--Krakow is lovely.
Jan 11th, 2007, 02:19 AM

We spent 3 days in Krakow in March of last year and it felt about right. We wouldn't have minded an extra day or two, though.
We stayed in the pleasant Hotel Batory, paying 55€ for a nice room with good breakfast. About a 5-10 minute walk from the main square in the old town (I posted a review on TripAdvisor).
Jan 11th, 2007, 05:08 AM

we stayed at a lovely hotel called hotel polonia after looking at at least 5 in person. it is across from the train station, and was reasonable.

the rooms were large and bathrooms newly fitted. it is very old world. we did not take the breakfast offer.

Jan 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Personally, I would recommend an apartment over an hotel room any day !

You get more for your money. More space, more luxury and more money left in your wallet !

I stayed at a lovely apartment 2 mins walk from Rynek Glowny and it only cost £ 45 a night.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I have visited Krakow a few times, and have on two occasions stayed at Hotel Europjeski (sp?), which is across the street from the train station and the old town. I prefer older, historic hotels, and this one fits the bill.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I also reccommend the Trecius http://www.trecius.krakow.pl/

It is lovely (non smoking) and the breakfast (which is optional and highly recommended)is great.

It is a 10 minute walk from the station and about 2 mins from the square. You can hear the buglers on the hour in your room.

Highly recommended.

Helen
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM

We'll be flying into Budapest and out of Prague in early March. We'd like to take the train from Budapest to Vienna and then a couple of days later, from Vienna to Prague.

Some questions:

Is there a way I can buy the tickets from Vienna to Prague while still in Budapest or must I wait until we get to Vienna?

Is there any way to buy these tickets online before we go, other than on the overpriced Rail Europe site?

I've looked at the Hungarian rail site and can see times for trip, but not pricing. Is there any way to get this in advance?

Once we're in Budapest, what's the best way to get the train tickets? Go to the train station? Travel agent?

Do either the Budapest or Vienna stations have special lines for travelers who don't speak the local language? (I've seen this in Thailand, not not in Europe).

Thanks!

Author: kleroux
Date: 01/15/2007, 03:03 pm

check out BETS or www.budgeteuropetravel.com for good info on trains, costs and schedules. They were very helpful to us when we needed to figure out what was cheaper.. a Eurail pass or just buying tickets...

Author: TimS
Date: 01/15/2007, 03:46 pm

You can book your tickets by calling the Deutsche Bahn Call Centre and you can have them mailed to you. Dial your country's international access code (011 for the USA and Canada) + 49 1805 - 996633.

Author: Kristina
Date: 01/15/2007, 04:13 pm

Kleroux-Thanks. As far as I can tell, point to point tix are better since we only have two trips.

TimS-I've looked at the Deutsche Bahn website and I thought you could only buy German rail tickets from them?

If you search under In Your Pocket Krakow you will find a good list, with notes, of Krakow hotels.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
tmh

Were in Krakow in April a couple years ago. We stayed at the Hotel Europjeski which was ideal to trains and the square.

We went to Zakopane for a night and while a fun trip (bus ride) it was foggy. Yes, several shops open.

Went to Chestehowa (sp - Black Madonna) one day, the mines another, Auschwitz another, and Kalweria Debshedova (sp)- stayed a total of 8 nights in Krakow and had a ball. It was Easter weekend so enjoyed all the religious events in the square and churches.
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I love Hotel Pod Roza. It is not cheap, but well worth it.
As to Zakopane, I believe it is not worth the time. A tourist trap.
(no offense to anyone from Zakopane, but as I am Polish and went there more than a few times, I am not afraid to say it)
And, FINALLY, Wieliczka Salt Mine is impressive and well worth the trip.
And, on the sweet note, I always enjoy hazelnut torte in Wierzynek Cafe in the Main Square.
Agnes
Feb 19th, 2007, 04:28 AM

We are looking for a higher end hotel to stay with two teen boys, and wondering if staying right on the main square is too noisy. Based on reviews I read on TA, it did not appear so.

do you think it is safe for a teenager who speaks only English to walk around a little alone? That is why I was thinking of staying right on the square, so he could at least go out there on his own.
Feb 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM
carolinetaylor

I went to Krakow last October and i would say that it will be fine for your boy to walk around alone. I was a single female and i didn't encounter any problems at all.

Krakow is beautiful. It is definitely one of my top Central European cities

Feb 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Batory? Would you recommend it?
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Yes, if you scroll up the thread, you'll see we stayed there last year and enjoyed it.
Pros: Nice staff, comfortable, spacious rooms, pleasant, light decor, good breakfast room, dinner also served (we didn't dine there, but it always smelled good), close to ATM for cash and English speaking pharmacy (if needed), easy walk to the main square in the old town. Seemed like a safe neighborhood.
Minuses: Beds might be too short if you're more than an inch or two over 6'. No English language tv station (we didn't care), no on-site currency exchange, not really within walking distance of the train station (too much construction going on between station and hotel). Don't know if it has airco.

Would I stay there again? Sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO