Krakow and Wroclaw or Warsaw

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krakow and Wroclaw or Warsaw

Hi

I went to Krakow several years ago and fell in love with the place.

I plan to go there again shortly and this time would like to combine the trip with a few days in either Wroclaw or Warsaw.

Firstly I just wondered if you think this would be worth it and if so which town would you choose and for how many days to spend there.

Also how easy is it to get to the other place by train and how safe also.

Thanks in advance.

Jo
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM

hi Jo
I'm Polish and if I were you I would go to Wroclaw. Why?
Wroclaw was a German city till WWII, so it is different than
every other big polish city. It is also known in Poland as
a student city. There are many universities where thousands
of students get their degrees.
The most beautiful part of Wroclaw is Ostrow Tumski. This is also the oldest part of this city.
I don't know how many days are you going to spend in Poland
so I don't know how to share your time between those 2 cites.
Train travel from Krakow to Wroclaw is easy. Take the InterCity train - they are relatively fast and safe.
From Wroclaw you can catch a plane to UK.

Cheers
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Amy

I have not been to Wroclaw so can't compare the two, but Warsaw is a very interesting destination as well. If you have any interest in WWII history, the museum there is outstanding.
I went by train from Krakow to Warsaw very easily. My trip report for this is here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-july-2006.cfm
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Joan; All three cities have much to offer. Warsaw was destroyed in WW2. The old city was rebuilt. An amazing feat. Go to www.inyourpocket.com/ for free downloads on each city. Click on the city and then 'instant' for your download. Enjoy iris1745/dick
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go to Wroclaw as Warsaw is very much a post war, large, clumsy Eastern european sort of place while Wroclaw is pleasant and has fine country around.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your helpful responses and your interesting review Amy.

They all sound interesting places. Not sure how long I will have (depending on job situation) but could be anything from one to two weeks.

Jo
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:14 AM

If you decide go to Wroclaw and want a professional city guide try here:
http://www.wrota.wroclaw.pl/w/Main/main_eng.htm

I'm living in Wroclaw so I'm not going to tell that is better than Warsaw... If I were you I would based my choice on big city vs medium sized city criterion.

PS. Both Warsaw and Wroclaw was hugely destroyed in WWII. That is why Cracow is most beautiful now.. lucky them
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Frankly, I think you should go to Warsaw. I am partial but that's because I've grown (rather easily and quickly) fond of the city. This is why: Warsaw will give you an excellent basis of comparison as to Poland's modern status viz other European capitals. And everyone thinks that Warsaw is ugly. Granted, there are ugly stretches of old communist era flats but the center of the city that follows the so-called Royal Route is very lovely, especially in summer. The old castles and palaces alone the way that are now embassies and shops and restaurants are lovely. Nowy Swiat is a sweet sweet street to enjoy, so many cafes and strolling opportunities. And then, of course, the history one encounters as you move up toward the Old Town, the New Town, the gardens. You can visit the museums or simply enjoy walking through the streets. It is old POLISH architecture, rather than having a German influence (as Wroclaw) and so you get a much more Polish sense of history. And then, of course, you can go shopping in the modern shopping centers that are quite the thing. As to see what's up with Poles now. And then walk in the parks -- Lazienki Park and the Saski (or Krasinski) Gardens are simply wonderful! Especially on a Sunday afternoon. And to take in a Chopin concert at noon on Sundays in the garden under the Chopin statue in Lazienki Park is also a treat. The museums related to WWII and also to the Holocaust are very well done and interesting. Actually, the Jewish Ghetto Memorial is very stirring, moving, and is on the site of the future Museum of the History of Jewish People in Poland. You'll experience a good slice of modern Polish life, and you'll have a lovely lovely time! I wish I were there now! Feel free to ask if you have other questions.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Joannax, my vote is for Wroclaw. We just returned last week from a week based in Krakow with a very long day trip to Wroclaw, and we regret not spending the night. The market square and Cathedral Island have enough character to fill a camera card, and the Japanese garden and Centennial Hall are said to be worth visiting (alas, we ran out of time). Plus, there's always the whimsical Wroclaw Gnomes to look for!
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM

This thread is from 2009 so I'm sure the OP has already taken her trip. Michal_guide topped it to advertise his tours.

fourfortravel - the Centennial Hall is closed most of the time so you can only see it from the outside.