Reload this Page >

Konigsee vs Wolfgangsee

Search

Konigsee vs Wolfgangsee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 06:27 PM
ofelia

Konigsee vs Wolfgangsee

<BR>Wea are planning to go to Austria next year. <BR>Is the boat trip from St Gilgen to St Wolgang (sp?)in Austria the same as the one in Konigsee, Bavaria in terms of scenery. <BR> <BR>In other words how will you describe Salzkammergaut area? <BR> <BR>Ofelia <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 06:58 AM
Doug

Wolfgagngsee is very nice, but doesn't compare to the Konigsee. The K-see is surrounded by sheer cliffs with pristine water while the Wolfgangsee is a more heavily used body of water. Only a few electric boats are allowed on the K-see wi=hile Wolfgangsee has diesel and gas boats plying it's waters. The Wolfgangsee is in a more open area and doesn't have the natural beauty of the K-see.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 02:13 PM
ofelia

<BR>Thanks Doug for responding. This is really what I need? <BR> <BR> <BR>ofelia

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 05:17 PM
Doug

Don't misunderstand me...The Salzkammergut is very pretty and historic. It's just that the Konigsee is a really unique lake. Rather than take the Wolfgangsee boat trip, I'd opt for the nearby cable car ride or the cog wheel train. The train leaves from St. Wolfgang and the cable car is on the other side of the lake. The cable car is pretty cool because it's about the size of those little cable cars you might ride in an American amusement park except that the ascent is really steep. And I was kind of freaked-out by the fact that you went a real real long way from the cable car station to the first support tower. On a windy day you must really swing around up there. If you're into Mozart, there are many Mozart landmarks in the Wolfgangsee area. It's kind of like the old "George Washington slept here" claim that inns in the U.S. use, only in Austria they all brag about Mozart or his family having stayed someplace nearby.