Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know about the hotel train from Spain to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 10:32 AM
Simin

I will be traveling from Madrid to Paris and would like to take the hotel train. Is it possible to get tickets from the station just a few days before my proposed date of travel?

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 12:01 PM
Sarah Smith

Hi Simin...I took the hotel train (it's called the Talgo) from Paris to Madrid. I reserved my tickets about 4 days in advance, but it always depends on the time of the year, from what I understand. A reservation made a week in advance would probably be the safest bet.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 05:18 PM
Kevin Mathews

Be careful when you get your tickets. There are many types of train fares just like there are many types of airline fares. <BR> <BR>For instance, my wife and I booked round trip 2nd class tickets on Thalys (the bullet train) from Brussels to Paris for $86 total (for both of us, RT, including reservations). If we had booked through Rail Europe or a travel agent it would have cost us &gt;$300. <BR> <BR>Going to http://www.sncf.com/ will give you an idea and help you not get ripped off.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 05:40 PM
elvira

You've got me curious - what is the hotel train?

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 09:33 PM
Tony

Elvira.. <BR> <BR>It's an all sleeper train with Dining Cars. The Hotel Train designation illustrates that it is upmarket, and a little more luxurious than normal overnight trains. The trains from Paris to Madrid and Barcelonam and from Barcelona to Zurich/Milan are operated with special gauge changing Talgo trains (Spanish) which are particularly good.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 04:59 AM
graziella

I second to check directly with sncf or for that matter for any other trip also check with the direct national railway site. <BR>Buen viaje.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 05:18 AM
Rex

Since you are originating in Madrid, you might prefer to check with www.renfe.es - - the Spanish national railroad web site.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 06:37 PM
Simin

Thanks all for your responses. I did go to the sncf site and also the renfe site but both sites will not allow me to purchase tickets from overseas. I will be traveling on Nov. 12th so I'll just have to wait until I first arrive in Spain to purchase.