Reload this Page >

Know any cooking schools in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:38 AM
chris

I would love to go to a week long cooking school in Italy, preferable in Tuscany. Does anyone have any information? Thanks.

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:47 AM
wendy

There are many to choose from...do you know where you'll be staying or would you like the name of a cooking school where you can be a guest for the week? <BR> <BR>Wendy

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:55 AM
chris

I would want to be a guest for the week. I live in Europe currently, so I would plan the trip around the dates and location of the cooking school.

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:05 PM
kam

Perhaps one of the poshest and my dream destination is the Lorenza de Medici school at Badia al Coltibuono in Gaiole in Chianti. I'm sure they have a website and the program sounds really first class. Neighbors of ours did the one week school and then attended an Italian language school in Florence for another month to brush up---my dream vacation! There are many others--maybe check inItaly.com

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:56 PM
wendy

Chris, <BR> <BR>Kam hit the nail on the head! This is what I was thinking of for you. Thanks Kam! <BR> <BR>Their telephone number is: 0577/749498 and fax: 0577/749235 <BR>at Badia a Coltibuono, 53013 <BR> <BR>It is run by Lorenza and her daughter Emanuela. It is an 11th century abbey and after a week here you will have learned about agricultural tradition(s), how to prepare the cuisine and also of the vines outside the abbey. You also visit cheese shops and other wineries, and dine in private homes. <BR> <BR>For your planning purposes, students arrive on Sunday night and leave the following Saturday after 5 days of lessons. Each day has a theme, gnocchi one, vegetables the next etc...there is a graduation dinner on Firday night and are given between May and September. Reservations in advance are needed! <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old May 6th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Jodi

There is a woman in Canada with a book of cooking holidays in Italy...it runs the gamet and is a good jumping off place. Her name is Margaret Cowan and she has a web site- www.italycookingschools.com <BR>or 1-800-557-0370 <BR>One of my children went to a course she recommended and had a wonderful time. <BR>Buon appetito! <BR>Jodi

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Terry

While doing research for a future trip to the Tuscany area, I found this cooking school - La Bottega del 30, not far from Siena. It looks very interesting. Their web site is www.nettuno.it/fiera/labottegadel30

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Ian

I was at Fattoria Pagnana ( www.fattoria-pagnana.com ) at Easter and they have 1, 3 & 5 day cookery courses and are also going to introduce a 2 day course shortly.

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Jody

Since marcella has retired to Florida, my first choice also would be Lorenza deMedici's, if I ever win the lottery! <BR>There is also a good English co., www.rhodeschoolofcuisine.com, They do classes at Villa Michela outside of Lucca. In the fall they have a guest chef, Alvaro MAcchioni, owner of La famiglia in London, one of the most charming men you will ever met and an excellt cook. I rely on his cookbook, Mamma Toscano. It runs arond 2500.00 a week everything included, I'm saving my pennies!!

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Marilyn

My husband and I are attending a 10-day cooking course in Tuscany at Villa Delia near Pisa. According to our sample schedule, we will cook in the mornings and go on excursions in the afternoons/ evenings to places such as Cinque Terra and Lucca. The school is owned by Umberto Menghi, a chef who also owns several restaurants in Vancouver and Whistler BC. We know 2 other couples who have been and loved the experience. For information check out their website at http://www.umberto.com

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Sarabeth

Le Sirenuse, in Positano, runs a week-long cooking school. I didn't attend but saw the itinerary...looked fabulous with field trips, etc. I'm sure it's on their web site. Write me if you want the web site. <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 10:41 AM
some pony

Go to www.gestionecupido.com for a serious cooking session. If you need help translating this Cordon Bleu school, email my expat cousin, Susan, at [email protected]. She would love to help you, guide, etc. Lives very near Assisi, knows a whole lot about Italy. Tell her the California cousin sent you! <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 12:13 PM
chris

Thanks for all of the great information! Keep it coming if you have more suggestions, and I look forward to checking out each option!!

Old May 7th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Tammy

Sirenuse is not operating their school this year and they don't know when or if they will in the near future.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
EPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marilyn....did you ever go to the Villa Delia school? How was it? There are so many choices it is hard to choose. Chris....which one did you end up going to? I would like to do the same after Easter in April. Any information would help.Thanks
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM

Are there many cooking schools for one day and would there be a school with overnight accomodations?
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM
cmt

Here are two cooking schools in Sicily. http://www.ameliainternational.com/P...a_del_sole.pdf I had a half-day class with Eleonora Consoli (Cucina del Sole) and would recommend it.