Reload this Page >

Kloster Andechs?

Search

Kloster Andechs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Mike

Kloster Andechs?

Has anyone been to Kloster Andechs near Munich? I understand it is a monastery with a brewery. Is it in Munich or on the outskirts? Is it worth the trip there; will have 2 days in Munich. Thanks for your replies!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Roxie

It is outside Munich. You take the train to the town where it is located and then a bus. I don't remember the transportation details, but you can also walk (uphill) to it from the train. We walked back to the train because we missed the last bus. I enjoyed it. It seemed very "authentic" compared to the Hoffbrau Hous (sp?) as we saw no other English-speaking tourists there--mostly looked like German families. With two days in Munich, you have time. It is something you can do in the late afternoon--just don't miss the last bus unless you want a 3-mile hike through the dark woods.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Mike

Thanks Roxie for your expertise! I certainly sounds like an interesting place. Do you know is there any type of tour or is it self-guided? Thanks!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Miriam

Hi Mike, <BR> <BR>I´ve been there and it`s a lot of <BR>fun even if you don`t like beer, because <BR>there`s more to see. <BR>It`s located southwest of Munich near <BR>the beautiful Ammersee. To get <BR>there without a car(what I recommend if you like beer) you take the S5(S-Bahn) to Herrsching and then a bus to Andechs. <BR>There are tours as the previous poster <BR>pointed out. The food is great and the beer-well, try it. <BR>If you know a bit German take a look at www.andechs.de <BR>At least you`ll see some nice photos of the hill and the Kloster. <BR> <BR>Prost <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 10:33 AM
wes fowler

Mike, <BR>The beer brewed at the Andechs monastery is one of the finest beers in the world. Try some of the Andechs Kloster cheese to go along with the beer. Do visit the church on the grounds; it displays some of the magnificent stucco work of Johann Zimmerman, one of the artisans responsible for the spectacular Baroque Weiskirche. At Hersching you can pick up a lake steamer that sails on the Ammersee or walk the lakeside promenade, about six miles in length. <BR> <BR>By the way, you serve yourself at the beer hall; there's no waiter or waitress service.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Meg

Mike, my husband and I were there in '95 on a Sunday morning, which was a great treat because all the locals were just coming out out of church, dressed in full Bavarian garb. We followed quite a few of them into the beer hall where they had a late breakfast of huge wursts and even larger beers. Not something I'm accustomed to eating at 10:30 in the morning.