Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kissing the Irish Soil: Advice for 1st night in Ireland? (Shannon arrival)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites. We arrive on Irish soil in a coupla weeks. Flying into Shannon in early afternoon, first night at Bunratty Lodge.

What are your favorite experiences, restaurants, entertainment, etc. near Shannon? I would prefer to hear about a your favorite experience rather than get a long list of places.

I will enjoy hearing your suggestions for enjoying our first afternoon/evening in Ireland. We will have a car. Travelling with hubby and 2 young adult daughters, age 19 and 20.

Our first night in Bunratty is a Saturday night. We will be very jet-lagged flying in from LAX. I am thinking we can either head into Ennis for the evening, or try the pub that is inside the Bunratty Folk Park. Then the next morning we can see the Bunratty Folk Park for a coupla hours when it's less crowded before heading off for 3 nights in Dingle at Heaton's Guesthouse.

Woo-hoo! Ireland, here we come! ><

We have the Dunguaire Medieval Banquet scheduled for the trip so therefore we won't be doing the Bunratty banquet.

We mostly want to see authentic Ireland, though we enjoy a touristy stop or 2. Looking for good food with casual atmosphere and nice folks. Many thanks!

You don't need to tell me to stop planning because I enjoy the planning as much as the travelling. And yes, we are always open for spontaneous experiences.

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I went to Ireland last year during the last week of July and first week in August and had a blast. We were two single guys in our mid 20's when traveling so perhaps some of our interests were different but I will still give you some of our experiences.

We two arrived early in the morning at Shannon International Airport and rented a car and actually drove out to Doolin. We got lost along the way driving in Ireland was nothing like driving in the states and we actually had a few close calls!

The drive to Doolin was about 90 minutes from Shannon and we drove through Ennis to get there. Ennis seemed like a good place to stop. Anyway we went to Doolin our first night because we were looking for a good town close to the Cliffs of Moher which we wanted to see. Doolin, was a very small town with three pubs but great crowds. Most of the people in Doolin were Irish not many tourists at our time which was neat. The pubs were very relazed in Doolin as they are all over Ireland.

I have to say I would not stay in Bunratty that first night. You should at least drive an hour or so. Once you get to Ireland you will be pumped and ready to go and this comes from someone who got no sleep on the way over from Philadelphia. Lahinch was a quaint town we stopped in on the way to Doolin near the Cliffs of Moher. Lahinch was near a golf course and was only about 20 minutes outside Doolin.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM

If you decide to spend your first evening in Ennis, there is good pub grub and excellent traditional music at Cruise's. Consider also the Cois na hBbhna Irish cultural centre (www.comhaltas.com/culturlann/ennis.htm) and Glor Irish music centre (www.glor.ie).
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Oops! I got the URL right, but the correct spelling for the cultural centre is Cois na hAbhna.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

survfan, Doolin sounds fun. I'm glad you actually found the Irish were there (not just tourists.) We are definitely staying in Bunratty but it's only for 1 night. I like to "relapse" my first night after flying all the way from LAX. We will be excited, but I think nearby places like maybe Ennis will satisfy us. Thanks for sharing your story.

Tim S, thanks for the links, I'm going to check the cultural center and the music center for Ennis. I've heard about Cruise's, sounds great!

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Ennis is a lovely town and you have a pick of small restaurants there. I think its nicer and less touristy than Bunratty
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM

just back...got a tip from our driver/guide which reinforces what I have always experienced...

when you get to Ireland you need to get aclimated to the time...don't sleep or you will actually have a harder time with jet lag carrying over into several days. He says that groups that insist on napping or "taking it easy" the first day have a hard time getting aclimated.
He suggested when planning-going strong for 3 days then having a slower day to relax, like spend the day in a town and not traveling, for a day

do some outdoor activities...actually, if you plan on doing the castle/folk park that would be perfect if it is a a nice day.

or you could get information on a guided walk in the burren or drive the burren and get out to explore

if it is nice...you may want to check out the cliffs, we were there on a very windy day...actually had a hard time walking up the steep "new detour" entrance walk...they have really messed things up there...sad.

we did bunratty on last day and we were lucky to have great weather. enjoyed the castle...get a tour guide in order to better enjoy what you are seeing... this a good castle to tour because they let you explore, linger, and touch...very rare in my experience. the folk park was interesting-set up village with buildings, shops, ice-cream!

did the banquet...fun, food "interesting" did love the soup, bread and mead (if anyone would have a recipe for the soup they serve at the banquet...would like, kinda spicey), fun entertainment...really moves fast. all age groups liked it a lot...actually can go a little early and walk thru the folk park and have a drink at mac's pub before banquet (shops not open, but you get the idea).

could go to mac's pub...very lo key, a "loud american" showed up and kinda chased away the couple of locals there that use the pub for after work

bunratty castle is large compared to dunguair...didn't do banquet, just visited...couldn't figure out where would have room for banquet?

we stayed at bunratty woods...I think I saw the sign for the lodge...may have been further out the road...our B&B was an easy/flat 10 min. walk from bunratty, but watch the traffic...walk on the right.

definately plan activities for the first day to keep you going and stay up until 9ish
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

As it is your first night and you will be tired and you plan to stay in Bunratty - I would not recommend driving to Doolin, Ennis etc on the first night. I have been to the pub in the Folk Park and it is
as close to a genuine Irish pub as you will get. Although Bunratty is a 'tourist trap' it is still an interesting little place. The Folk Park is really worth visiting. I am Irish and was pleasantly surprised on my first visit to it last year. It gives a very good image of the type of houses, schools etc that would have existed in Ireland in the past. I would not recommend Durty Nellies the pub beside Bunratty Castle.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:16 PM

If you are travelling from Bunratty/Clare to Dingle - you might consider going west from Bunratty or Ennis - seeing some of Co. Clare and taking ferry from Killimer to Tarbert on the estuary of the Shannon across to Kerry and down to Dingle. It means you dont have to pass through Limerick City and is a nice route.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM

The Killimer-Tarbert ferry is a drive-on ferry operating every 10 minutes or so.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM

During the summer the Killimer-Tarbert ferry runs every 30 minutes in each direction. For timetables and fares, visit www.shannonferries.com.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! It's great to hear all your ideas.

Padhraicin, the western route sounds interesting when we travel from Bunratty to Dingle. I think avoiding Limerick would be fine. (Prefer the smaller villages and the scenic routes.)

Here is what I am thinking so far. Depending on how long it takes to get our rental car, we may have time to see Quin Abbey or Knappogue castle. And we could end the evening with a visit to the pub in the folk park.

I'll take a family vote. If they have endless energy we'll head into Ennis for shopping and to check out Cruise's pub and other places.

But I am thinking we will want something close to Bunratty Lodge, relaxing, and easy. We were so jet-lagged when we arrived in Italy from LAX that I remember nothing at all about our first afternoon/evening except for the harrowing limo ride from the airport to the Rome hotel! Amazing! Nobody drives in their lane. They drive between lanes!

I am wondering if this will happen in Ireland...I mean, if we will be so tired and jet-lagged our first afternoon/evening will disappear from my memory 2 years later! Yet the next morning stands out bright and clear in my memory...