Kinsale to Castlegregory

Search

Kinsale to Castlegregory

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinsale to Castlegregory

Will there be time from Kinsale to Castlegregory to do any of the little loops like Slea Head or should we drive from Kinsale to Castlegregory and then the next day venture the Slea Head and Ring of Kerry...??

Input ... ? Thanks Aprilmay
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Slea Head is closed indefinitely due to part of the cliff collapsing. It will be some time before it's reopened I'm afraid.

http://tinyurl.com/yv87zj
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM

my favorite part of ireland is mizenhead, and crookhaven, a bit of a drive from kinsale. (where we were staying at the time) it's the most south-west part of ireland. perhaps that will be a nice side trip for you.
if so, have lunch at o'sullivans. ;-)
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Hi aprilmay,

Slea Head will probably be open by the time you get there. They are working to open it for thr summer season,

I would do Slea Head and ROK on separate days. There is too much to see on each peninsula. Do you have just a day to get to Castlegregory?

Helen
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I had planned one day to go from Kinsale to Castlegregory but now in fine tuning the itinerary it appears it might be better to go from Kinsale to Kenmare and maybe do one loop then?? Then from Kenmare to Castlegregory? Help!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Sounds like a better idea to take one more day, and do either the ROK or Slea Head. We are staying 4 nights in Killarney, doing the Gap of Dunloe, the interior of the ROK, and a day's journey into Inchigeelagh, Cty. Cork. Have done the ROK twice, it is beautiful, but Slea Head is so much more dramatic! You can lose yourself in it's history. There are so many more ancient sights on the Dingle. We are staying at The Shores for 2 nights, and going back to Dingle to do the Scuirid Ardheological Tour.

Hope this is of some help.

Helen
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Say hi to Annette for my folks.

There is a route through the Slea Head drive though it appears it cuts off some of the favorite spots.

I don't think you would get to enjoy the drive around Slea Head after a reasonably long drive from Kinsale, but that depends on the route you take. If you follow the coast, it's a very long drive to Castlegregory. Either way, you probably won't hit Castlegregeory until midafternoon. That would be a nice time to take a drive out to Brandon Point or walk the beach along Brandon Bay.

Bill