Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Kinsale, Kilkenny, Dublin -- Where to stay?

Kinsale, Kilkenny, Dublin -- Where to stay?

Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:29 PM
Harriett

Kinsale, Kilkenny, Dublin -- Where to stay?

My husband and I will be in Ireland in October, primarily for him to run in the Dublin Marathon. We also plan a night or two in Kilkenny, and a couple of nights in Kinsale, driving over to Cork for the Guinness Jazz Festival. I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay in Kilkenny, Kinsale and Dublin environs -- we'll have a car, and prefer B&B/guesthouses or small hotels, approx. 100-150 pounds per night w/breakfast. I'm also looking for suggestions for well-priced car rentals. Thanks for any ideas ...

Feb 3rd, 2000, 01:38 PM
Patrick

In Kinsale, we loved the Blue Haven, right in the heart of the town, with a pub and a superb small restaruant and a handful of rooms --maybe 20. It was wonderful, and I think still in your price range. For car rental, we checked a lot and used Dan Dooley, superb service and great rates. They are all over Ireland. We found a toll free number for booking from the US, two years ago before I was on the net. They may have a web site too, do a search. No help with Kilkenny, we just spend part of a day there, and stayed inside Dublin.

Feb 4th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Sandy

Hi, hubby and I were in Kilkenny in November and stayed at a wonderful B&B, Ardee House, Springmount, Waterford Rd., ph/fax 011-353-56-62699. Of all the great B&Bs we stayed in (and they were ALL great), this was the best. The proprietor Pat and his wife were super friendly and helpful. Our lovely en-suite room had TV w/remote, clock radio, hairdryer. For breakfast, there was a continental bar set up w/several kinds of juices, fresh fruit, muffins, breads, coffee, tea, cheeses, sausages. That's in addition to his extensive cooked-to-order hearty breakfast. We paid 18 Irish Pounds ea, which was about $47.50 total).

We also used Dan Dooley (in Ireland: 062-53103; 800-331-9301 in US) and can't recommend them enough. Not only were they a pleasure to deal with but they were cheaper than any other quote I received by at least $100! You'll have a great trip, Ireland is wonderful!

Apr 22nd, 2000, 10:27 PM
Mariel

Harriet,
We stayed at a wonderful B&B
in Kilkenny called "Cnoc Mhuire" on Castle Rd. - right off the New Ross-Rosslare Rd. (R700). The owners, Helen and Don Sheehan were great, house was lovely, and the breakfast was delicious. They were extremely helpful
with suggestions, recommendations, etc.
You couldn't ask for a nicer B&B.

Apr 24th, 2000, 07:04 PM
steve

I recently stayed at Willowtree B&B in Swords, just a couple of miles from the Dublin Airport and a one turn drive into downtown Dublin. It was 22.50 punts per person (less than $30) for a nice room and excellent breakfast

Apr 25th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Sandra

Argus car hire in Dublin offer good deals, are at Dublin airport and in Dublin city and are really helpful.I think they're on the net somewhere.

Search this Thread