Reload this Page >

Kingston-Upon-Hull

Search

Kingston-Upon-Hull

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:52 AM
c

Kingston-Upon-Hull

A friend of mine just got transferred to Kingston-Upon-Hull and has suggested that I head over for a visit this spring. Has anyone been visiting to this area of the east coast of England? Is it a one day stop over or is there a lot to do in this area? I'm thinking that I could fly into London and take the train up there and then on to Edinburgh (one of my favorite cities). Any suggestions on what I should be researching for travel in this region? Thanks!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Alec

I've made a flying visit to Hull a few weeks ago. It has a few attractive parts in the centre, esp the redeveloped port area with a marina, but it's basically a large industrial town of no special interest to visitors, especially when considering some other places not too far. http://www.thisishull.co.uk/index.jsp lists places to visit, eat and for entertainment. Areas north of Hull has some very attractive places, like Beverley with its beautiful minster, working fishing ports and seaside resorts of Bridlington, Filey and Scarborough (like Blackpool, but more varied scenery). There is a famous pottery at Hornsea, and Flamborough Head near Bridlington has some fabulous clifftop walks with bird sanctuary at Bempton. Further north you're in North York Moors and the town of Whitby (of Dracula and ruined priory). Hull itself can be reached by a few direct trains from Kings Cross, or changing at Doncaster. You can use York as a base and rent a car for easy day trips in this corner of East and North Yorkshire, usually overlooked by overseas visitors, which is a pity.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 06:20 PM
c

Alec - Thanks for the information. Sounds like it might be ok to stop there for a few days to visit my friend and then head to other areas.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 10:45 PM
TJ

I've never been to this region, but might want to try out something new on my next visit. Based on Alec's account, it offers different scenes than what I'm accustomed to. Ideas on which airport is best to fly into? How long by train to get to the region?

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 06:19 AM
meg

To get to this remote and interesting part of the UK- you may be able to get internal flights from London to East Midlands Airport or Leeds/Bradford. Or take the train to York (fast trains from London Kings Cross or St Pancras) 2-3 hours. Then hire a car to explore

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Alec

There are also small regional airports at Sheffield, Humberside (near Grimsby), Teesside (near Middleborough) as well as Leeds/Bradford. They are all connected by internal flights to London, but there aren't many cheap fares as flights are geared to business passengers. Most people fly into Manchester Airport (there are many bargain fares from US), and from the airport train station there are direct services to York and points further east and north, and many more by changing at Manchester Piccadilly.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 06:56 PM
TJ

If I fly into Manchester, how long is the train ride to this region near Kingston? How much is the train fare? Can I buy a week long pass for unlimited rail?

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Tony

Trains from Manchester Airport to Hull are at least hourly, and usually involve changing at Manchester Piccadilly,and possibly Leeds. The journey takes just over two and a half hours.<BR>You can get 4 or 8 day unlimited rail passes in the U.K. but unless you are travelling constantly they are not good value, as point to point fares will normally be cheaper, especially if booked a day or two in advance.The cheapest passes can only be bought outside the U.K. It could be worth considering a 4 day in 2 month pass, depending upon your itinerary.Look at a 2nd.class pass, as only main line trains carry 1st.class in the U.K. now.<BR>For example your Manchester-Hull train is 2nd.class only.