kilrush or kilkee?

Search

kilrush or kilkee?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kilrush or kilkee?

we will be staying our first night in one of these two towns before taking the ferry to play golf at ballybunion the next day. Any good B&Bs or pubs in either area? What can we see and do in Co Clare the first day besides the cliffs?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Here's where we are staying our first night in Kilrush. We are going to explore Kilkee and the southern peninsula. If you go a little north to Lahinch, there's some great shopping.

http://www.hillcrestview.com/
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM

Doonberg, Greg Norman's masterwork is near Kilkee. From a videotape I saw on the AerLingus flight on a recent visit, some of the holes look like those shown on a Golf Calendar (Impossible holes).

To get familiar with 'links' golf your golfers might want to try Spanish Point, a 9-hole 'Executive' links course near Miltown Malbay: Inexpensive and fun to play!

"What can we see and do in Co Clare the first day besides the cliffs?"
I assume that you are talking about NOW (i.e., early Spring). If you are talking about late May, for example, the focus switches to Ennis and its May Traditional Music festival; mid-July to mid-August is the time for Willie Clancy's Coeli: Irish step dancing classes and competitions at the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point.

You could have lunch at Gus O'Connor's (RIP-Apr'03) in Doolin; see the Burren; shop in Lahinch: 2-weeks ago the Irish Tourist Office shop had 30% off across the board - we did some serious shopping there. Conveniently, there's an ATM just outside the door.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM

Doonbeg is a nice little village! If you do decide to stay in Doonbeg I would recommned An Tintean.
Very nice hostess. We loved the Pub across the street!
http://homepage.eircom.net/~antintean/

That area of Ireland is lovely! We have traveled to Ireland 6 times and we are going back at the end of March.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:54 PM

HannahHall, nice place. Thanks for posting it. It will help some other Fodorites who will be visiting the area. Isn't this what this board is all about?