Reload this Page >

Killarney or Kenmare

Search

Killarney or Kenmare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 10:33 AM
patti-suttle

Killarney or Kenmare

Now I want to know what does everyone think-stay in Kenmare or Killarney? I thought Killarney but have heard that Kenmare is adorable and not as touristy? What is your opinion? I am really interested in real traditional Irish music (not the touristy put on type music). So, a good place for music will make a difference. <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patti

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 10:36 AM
Patrick

We stayed in both and generally preferred Killarney because there was more to do. Kenmare is quaint, however, and we stayed in a delightful little inn above a pub. But if you are into true Irish music, I hope you will be able to get to Doolin!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 01:42 AM
Anna

I would choose Kenmare. It is a beautiful village. Still touristy, but nothing nearly as bad as Killarney! <BR> <BR>I think it's a much more 'genuine' place, with some fantastic hotels etc. I'm not sure about music, but I presume that you'll find traditional music in the pubs of both. Enjoy!

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Bob

You best chance for traditional music would be Dingle or Doolin. I would go with Dingle because of the beauty of the area. Off season you may only find people playing on the weekend.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 06:21 AM
phyllis

patti- <BR>we were in ireland this summer and had one of the best irish music experiences of our trip in kenmare. kenmare IS smaller and less touristy than killarny, and we thought the restaurants were better as well. there is a very small music shop on one of the main streets (there are only two main streets so its not hard to find) the owner is a young man who provided us with lots of good information about the local music scene and our bed and breakfast hostess (harbour view-about 10 minutes out of kenmare)turned us on to a local gathering of irish dancers that meets weekly with live music at the kenmare bay hotel (you may need to check on the name) the music and dancing were great! it was one of the highlights of our trip. have fun! <BR>phyllis

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Bill

Choose Kenmare! <BR>Killarney was way too crowded when we passes through. <BR>Kenmare had some good traditional music in a couple hotel-based pubs. Ask around. <BR>We stayed in a farmhouse B&B just outside of town, and it was great!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Cat

When are you planning on going? If you want a wonderful place to stay in Killarney - stay at Earl's Guest Courthouse. They are, however - I believe closed until February or March. The place is really nice - rooms have antiques, a large Golden Retriever greets you and the view from the balcony is wonderful! They are quite reasonable price wise too!

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Linda

We enjoyed Killarney. We stayed at Applecroft House and could walk into town. Had a good meal at the Flesk and there are many pubs for music. However, as mentioned in another post the best music we heard was in Dingle and at O'Connors in Doolin. Ireland is great fun no matter where you stay. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Patti Suttle

Thanks everyone! It was VERY hard to make a decision! I read all your posts pro and con and checked out lots of web sites, etc. and I finally did decide on Killarney. I totally agree with your recommendations on Kenmare so it was hard. The reason I ended up picking Killarney is that the Crystal Springs B&B really got me excited for several in our group. At the Crystal Springs B&B you can fish for trout and salmon right behind the house! Several of the guys (my husband included) thought that would be cool-not to mention my girlfriend Carol-she's a great fisheman, er, fisherwoman. I just thought that might be a nice novelty for them. We are a group of 10 and I am the " tour guide" and it is all their first times to Ireland. So, I am trying not to be selfish and picking everything I would want to do. We will be coming in from Dingle so we will also get the music there (we will be in the pubs for the music everynight for that matter). Who knows, maybe we can get over for a bit to Kenmare. I will let you all know about this trip when we get back-in July! <BR>Again, thanks for the replys. <BR>Patti

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Debbie

Patti - <BR> You will love Crystal Springs. I stayed there 2 nights in November and LOVED it. <BR> <BR>Our room faced the Flesk river, and yes it is right behind the B&B. <BR> <BR>The Breakfasts are very good, and the rooms very comfortable. ( we had the room with 1 dbl & 1 twin, and it was VERY roomy , plenty of space for everything.) Eileen is a fine hostess, very helpful with ideas for dinners and things to do. <BR> <BR>Be sure to visit SHEENANS for music at night. It is at the end of the main road, by the Tourist center & the big church. <BR> <BR>I would love to go back and spend a week there - so much to do! <BR> <BR>(oh, Killarney has a place called the INTERNET CAFE, where you can log on to the internet for about 1 pound per 10 minutes. - great way to send a quick email....) <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Patti Suttle

Debbie-thanks for the info! I read your trip report on this forum and knew you had liked Crystal Springs! I too like the ones that have great web sites-really helps! Thanks for the info. on Sheehans-it has real trad. Irish music? <BR>Any more info on that would be great! <BR>Patti

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Katherine Mistilis

Kenmare wins! The Hawthorne B&B is right in town and relatives own a restaurant that has peat fires. It' small and quaint and charming.The owners name was Mary Murphy O'brian <BR> <BR>Katherine Murphy Mistilis

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Debbie

Patti <BR> The night we were at Sheenans they had a 4 piece traditional 'band' there. <BR> <BR>Violin, Concertina, Bodhran (drum) & Guitar. The gentleman who played the guitar sang lead , and had a perfect Irish Tenor type voice. The others sang close harmony on most of the songs. We stayed from the time they started (9pm) until they finished (near midnight) . <BR>We were so lucky, we had the table in front of the fireplace and were only a few feet from the band. Absolute Heaven! They played ballads and reels, and a few in betweens. They were also friendly and took pictures with us. <BR> <BR>I am a real music lover (most any type), and that night stands out as probably my favorite memory of Ireland. <BR> <BR>Debbie

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

We are talking here about two small towns which are only 20 miles from each other and are connected by a narrow twisting climbing road from which you can see some of Ireland`s most beautiful scenery.It is difficult to keep your eyes on the road when there is so much to see.It is quite easy to cover both in one day and I have sometimes had lunch in one and dinner in the other.For a really special dinner I recommend Hotel Europe in Killarney where in the summer you can see the sun go down over the largest of the lakes or Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare which serves classical French cuisine overlooking a waterfall.It was voted Europe`s second best hotel by Conde Nast recently.Killarney has more shops and is more commercial.Kenmare is little more than a big village but won the title of Ireland`s tidiest town in 2000 so it is <BR>quite colorful as well as tidy.All that area of south west Ireland is wonderful to visit at any time of the year but it does rain there for 9% of the time as against 6% on the east coast of Ireland.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Patti Suttle

Debbie and Edmund-thanks so much! I can't wait to go back! This is not my first time to Ireland (in fact, my mother lives in Co. Roscommon). But, it has been 5 years *and* my husband and I are bringing 8 friends so I am being really picky and careful with B&B's and itineraries. I want them all to have the best time they possibly can and am doing everything in my power to see that they do. Sheenan's sounds just want I am looking for Debbie and Edmund Hotel Europe for dinner sound great too-not too expenive I hope! <BR>Somehow we will have to meander over to Kenmare! <BR>Patti