Search

Kilkenny to Dingle too far for one day?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kilkenny to Dingle too far for one day?

Hi all,

My wife and I are differing on this point, I think Kilkenny to Dingle with a visit to the Rock of Cashel will be a very doable day. My wife thinks we ought to stay a night in Killarney on the way to Dingle where we are slated to stay 3 nights. In fact here is our itinerary if anyone has any suggestions

day 1 Arrive Dublin pick up car drive to Kilkenny. Tour Kilkenny
day 2 Drive to Cashel then to Dingle???? maybe to Killarney??? 3 nights
day5 drive to Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, Burren 2 nights
day 7 drive to Cong stay at ashford castle (splurge)
day 8 Ougherard tour connemara
day 9 drive to Dublin 3 nights
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM

You are looking at probably a 4 to 5 hour drive from Kilkenny to Dingle, depending on route, traffic, etc. Add in visit time at The Rock, and you are looking at a pretty full day. I have to admit that while slightly interested before visiting The Rock, I found it to be a much more interesting place to visit after arriving. My wife and I spent at least 2 hours there taking the tour and exploring, including a side walk over to Hore Abbey.

You could spend the night in Killarney, and then maybe part of the next morning at Killarney National Park, or wandering around town before heading off to Dingle, which is maybe an hour or so from Killarney. In my opinion, dropping a night from Dingle isn't a necessarily a bad thing.

And unless you have some reason for 2 nights in the Burren (where were you looking at staying?), if it were me, I'd consider a longer stay in Connemara, or even a 2nd night in Kilkenny, maybe visiting Glendalough on the way there your 1st day.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
tod

Hi Bob,
Maybe you would get an idea of which direction to take if you read my trip report where I noted the roads we took as a reference for others - we seem to cover an awful lot everyday!
You can follow our route quite easily if you look at a good road map of Ireland. (You may just want to skip to the sections that you will travel). Hope it helps:
http://tinyurl.com/mmm492
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM

I think Jefe has made some good suggestions and I second them.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Good info folks!

Jefe,Here is our thinking on two days in Doolin (tentative reservations at the Aran View Hotel). My wife hates heights plus I'd read the Cliffs of Moher have a rope keeping you at a distance so we decided to see them from the sea. We looked at the "cliffs" cruise and the "combo trip" to the nearest Anan Island and thought the combo trip sounded like fun. The trip takes the better part of a day so we thought one day for that and one day for the Burren.

I think we'll stop over in Killarney then do the ROK the next day then off to Dingle. Sound good??
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Ahh, ok - well, that fleshed out those 2 days a bit better, so I can understand your thinking there.

As for the Cliffs, definitely, if time permits, see them from the top! Unless she has some extreme fear of heights, you probably won't get very near an edge (without trespassing, anyway) that she should have any worry about feeling very ill. The views are amazing and worth some time. I've also seen them from the water, and those views are great, too, so you will definitely enjoy yourselves there.

I'm probably one of the few here who haven't done the ROK, but sounds like a plan. I'm sure others can offer some advice here. Out of curiosity, what time of year are you going?
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Jefe, thanks for your interest

We're leaving SFO May31 leaving Dublin June 12th, flying to Manchester for 11 days in England. Itinerary there is
Days 1&2 York
Days 3,4,5,6 Chipping Camdon Cotswolds
Days7&8 Bath
Days9,10,11 London

Appreciate any input
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 04:54 AM

I have enjoyed the Cotswolds, but I think I might be tempted to take a day or two from there and add the time to York. I assume that you will have a rental car and there is so much to explore in the York area. I love the dales as wells as the ruins at Fountains and Rivaulx(not sure I spelled that right), some castles, little towns, etc.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Have fun!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM

Sounds like a great trip, and a good time of year for Ireland for sure!